Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Worms

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Well, I'm a few chapters into The Host, by Stephenie Meyer.  It's intriguing so far.... I need to keep reading it before really making a judgement.

bams68

Well I didn't get time to browse much for that Twilight book. But Walmart was having a sale on sum books an I got "Tick Tock" and "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz for like 15$. Hopefully they are okies....either of you read those ones??

Ur Deer Friend
bams

Nonnie

Isn't the truth about reading any book, not sure till about page 50, 60 is about when I can tell, whether I want to read a book.  When I lived in Kentucky several years back, did not have to work so I read and went Antique shopping as a past time and walked 2 miles daily.  The point being I would read 3 than 4 books a week I would beg my husband to take me to town (30 miles away)  in Owensburg to Crown books and buy books and promised I would make them last longer.  It seems the more you buy the more you read.  Finally got smart went to a used book store and bought books my problem being I never get rid of any books so I have shelves of books and magazines my husband is the same way too.  I've never met someone  who READs National Geography not just looked at pictures!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bams68 on August 24, 2008, 03:40:17 PM
Well I didn't get time to browse much for that Twilight book. But Walmart was having a sale on sum books an I got "Tick Tock" and "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz for like 15$. Hopefully they are okies....either of you read those ones??

Ur Deer Friend
bams

I like Koontz.  I've read a lot of his stuff, most recently The Longest Night of the Year, and the 4 Odd Thomas books.
I hope you can get hold of Twilight... it's a great read.  There are 4 books in that series too, but unlike Odd Thomas, the Twilight books need to be read in order.  Honest truth, I've read them all twice and can't wait for the movie.
Let us know how ya like those books you got.

Nonnie

After I gave you a novel on my reading I am just about ready to get back to reading while my autos run I love to read my feeling their is not anything you cannot learn that is not in a book!  Even computers!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Nonnie on August 24, 2008, 03:58:19 PM
Isn't the truth about reading any book, not sure till about page 50, 60 is about when I can tell, whether I want to read a book.  When I lived in Kentucky several years back, did not have to work so I read and went Antique shopping as a past time and walked 2 miles daily.  The point being I would read 3 than 4 books a week I would beg my husband to take me to town (30 miles away)  in Owensburg to Crown books and buy books and promised I would make them last longer.  It seems the more you buy the more you read.  Finally got smart went to a used book store and bought books my problem being I never get rid of any books so I have shelves of books and magazines my husband is the same way too.  I've never met someone  who READs National Geography not just looked at pictures!

What kinds of antiques did you shop for?  I collect Early American Pattern Glass.  Got quite an extensive collection on display through out the house.

I started reading more a couple years back when I had my cancer issue.  It was the only thing that took my mind off of worrying about it.  There's so much to be learned from books, fictional or non fictional.

CindyLouWho

Well with school starting tomorrow, I should finish Breaking Dawn tomorrow.  I'm gonna hate not having any more to read about Bella & Edward, but...I ordered the 4 books from Walmart online cause they was the cheapest at the time & will have em later this week so I'll just start reading em over again. At least until Edwards story comes out which I just can't wait!!  Also the movie in Nov.  

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on August 24, 2008, 04:31:54 PM
Well with school starting tomorrow, I should finish Breaking Dawn tomorrow.  I'm gonna hate not having any more to read about Bella & Edward, but...I ordered the 4 books from Walmart online cause they was the cheapest at the time & will have em later this week so I'll just start reading em over again. At least until Edwards story comes out which I just can't wait!!  Also the movie in Nov.  

Didn't chapter 1 of Midnight Sun sound GREAT?  I'm so looking forward to that.  And yes, reread... you'll find stuff you missed 1st time around.  I know I did.

Nonnie

You ask me what antiques I collect?  Early green ware glass wood kitchen gadgets old medicine bottles, reamers I have a large collection, Milk bottles, crates jugs butter churners, hand, crank, presses, Wash scrub boards, glass and aluminum Ironing board Irons no electric, wringer, sewing machines and sewing implements treadle sewing machine, hand crank, feather weigh 1909 electric portable,  5or 6 Chandeliers spinning wheel, Amish yarn winder my whole house is modern and antiques.  Sewing chair (rocker) some clothing womens old gloves baby clothing you name it I probably have it. Wood burning stove and hotel heater I have collected from about 25 years ago when I lived in the High Desert!

bams68

Well this worked out perfectly. I finished one of the Dean Koontz "Tick Tock" - which was ok actually. I won't do any spoilers incase anyone chooses to read it. But yeah the book deals with sum kind of voodoo doll stuff. But the good news is....I got the Stephanie Meyer "Twilight" collection. Got them all on Ebay all in OMFG still new condition hardbacks. Soooo it was great that I jus finished up the Dean Koontz book so now I'm starting the Twilight Series. I sure hope I can finish them all before the movie but if not all well...I jus won't watch it via cinema. I jus have to read the books first. An that can take awhile with a toddler running around.

vacation8.gif

Ur Deer Friend
bams

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bams68 on September 20, 2008, 03:23:39 AM
Well this worked out perfectly. I finished one of the Dean Koontz "Tick Tock" - which was ok actually. I won't do any spoilers incase anyone chooses to read it. But yeah the book deals with sum kind of voodoo doll stuff. But the good news is....I got the Stephanie Meyer "Twilight" collection. Got them all on Ebay all in OMFG still new condition hardbacks. Soooo it was great that I jus finished up the Dean Koontz book so now I'm starting the Twilight Series. I sure hope I can finish them all before the movie but if not all well...I jus won't watch it via cinema. I jus have to read the books first. An that can take awhile with a toddler running around.

vacation8.gif

Ur Deer Friend
bams

The movie is based on Twilight, the first book.  So if you get through the first book by 11/21 you're good to go. 
There are some things done differently in the movie, but from what the author, the actors, the screenwriter and the director say, it's one of the most pure (book to movie) adaptations they've ever seen.  Hope you love them!  Be sure and let us know :)

bams68

Oh Great Thx!!! Will be great to catch the movie in theaters. I am sure I'll be done the book by then. Lets jus say I can't put the book down now LOL Already hittin' chapter 3, mind u the chapters are not all that long compared to sum but are a nice size an I'm doing fine already so yeah jus luv the story already. I can relate so much to the main character ....feels like I'm reading a book about myself to be honest. How she thinks about others an such. Totally me.... :-[

I actually made my own bookmark in my paint program to go with me new books. Had it even laminated today LOL :)))

thx for the tip about the movie
Ur Deer Friend
bams

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bams68 on September 20, 2008, 02:22:26 PM
Oh Great Thx!!! Will be great to catch the movie in theaters. I am sure I'll be done the book by then. Lets jus say I can't put the book down now LOL Already hittin' chapter 3, mind u the chapters are not all that long compared to sum but are a nice size an I'm doing fine already so yeah jus luv the story already. I can relate so much to the main character ....feels like I'm reading a book about myself to be honest. How she thinks about others an such. Totally me.... :-[

I actually made my own bookmark in my paint program to go with me new books. Had it even laminated today LOL :)))

thx for the tip about the movie
Ur Deer Friend
bams

You're welcome... and there's more fun... when you're through with Twilight, go to the authors website and check out the outtakes and the extras.  They are so good... pdf files.  She posted the stuff that the editors removed, and then just some sideline stories.  But one that you HAVE to read is Midnight Sun.  It's Twilight from Edward's perspective.  She was going to write the entire book and publish it, but she's put it on hold.  There are 264 pages posted and the read is soooooooooo worth it.  I laugh so hard at Edwards thinking of things, how HE sees Bella... but do wait til you're finished with Twilight first.  Here's the link to Midnight Sun... (the partial draft) http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partialdraft3.pdf
Keep in mind, Midnight Sun is still a rough draft, hasn't been through the editors.
And of course you can read all kinds of things at her website http://www.stepheniemeyer.com

Glad you're loving the book too! :)  OH, and when you gonna share the bookmark, hey?  LOL

CindyLouWho

Bams, congrats on getting all the Twilight series books!  :!! I've read so many diff books over the years & so far they are my all time fave. 

Yes please do take Stinkerbell's advice, after you finish reading Twilight go read Midnight Sun.  I think its just amazing from Edwards pov. 

Enjoy your reading!!  vacation8.gif

kim23il

I read the notes on these twilight books, sounds very interesting! I'm not much of a reader because I tend to forget what I read the prior day. Now sure whats up with that. But maybe I better got looking for a bargin on ebay! :)))

CindyLouWho

Quote from: kim23il on September 21, 2008, 04:18:40 PM
I read the notes on these twilight books, sounds very interesting! I'm not much of a reader because I tend to forget what I read the prior day. Now sure whats up with that. But maybe I better got looking for a bargin on ebay! :)))

Don't feel bad Kim, I'm a very forgetful person!   :)))  I absolutely loved & enjoyed reading the Twilight book series & talk about em so much its easy to remember stuff in em!  LOL  Plus reading em more than once helps too  :))  Right Stinker?? 

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on September 21, 2008, 06:36:28 PM
Don't feel bad Kim, I'm a very forgetful person!   :)))  I absolutely loved & enjoyed reading the Twilight book series & talk about em so much its easy to remember stuff in em!  LOL  Plus reading em more than once helps too  :))  Right Stinker?? 

:)) :))  I'm on my 4th reading of Eclipse.  There's so much action that I always miss something and whenever I reread, I find something else.

I am also reading Nicolas Sparks The Choice.  I'm liking it so far.  I have The Rescue by the same author to go next.

FreecellFanny

I have read Kane & Abel by Sir Jeffrey Archer 9 times. Absolutely fantastic.  :D

Right now I'm reading a bio on Keith Richards!  :!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: FreecellFanny on September 22, 2008, 01:40:23 PM
I have read Kane & Abel by Sir Jeffrey Archer 9 times. Absolutely fantastic.  :D

Right now I'm reading a bio on Keith Richards!  :!!

I did a quick search on Kane & Abel.  It sounds really interesting... and if you've read it 9 times, it must be.  I'll add that to my "to be read" list on GoodReads.

Thanks!!

FreecellFanny

They actually did a movie/mini series on the book starring Peter Strauss as Abel. Can't remember who played William Kane.

The sequel to that book is The Prodigal Daughter.  :/\

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview