Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Worms

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

princessjen383

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 25, 2008, 01:19:32 PM
I hope it's ok to start a new topic that, hopefully, will be ongoing.  I love to read and would love input from others about what books they have read and liked.  Please post your favorites and least favorites here.

I just finished reading the Dean Koontz trilogy (hope he writes more of these) Odd Thomas books.  I just fell in love with Odd, the main character.
Enough humor and mystery...  not too deep and not difficult to follow.

Now, I'm thinking of reading Patterson's Women's Murder Club.  I was given book 4, but I'm wondering if I should start with book 1.  Has anyone read these?  Any input?

I love Koontz.. I heard about PWMC but have not read any of them yet.  If you read it let me know how it is

Stinkerbell

Quote from: princessjen383 on November 10, 2008, 11:36:32 PM
I love Koontz.. I heard about PWMC but have not read any of them yet.  If you read it let me know how it is

I actually have read a few of them and I liked them.  After the first 3 of the ones I read (out of order) I felt like there was too much repeat, too much backstory... I would have liked to see the characters grow some, but I guess since they are already adults set in their chosen career, the character growth might not be so apparent.  But well written stories, likeable characters... I think I would recommend reading them in order.

jarjar

Quote from: CindyLouWho on November 10, 2008, 06:16:26 PM
So sorry JarJar but don't fret, I have enough dreams to share!   :)))
I tried again still nothing 6_6.gif

CindyLouWho

So sorry JarJar!  I'll just start having double dreams, 1 for you & 1 for myself!  :)))

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on November 11, 2008, 08:46:24 AM
So sorry JarJar!  I'll just start having double dreams, 1 for you & 1 for myself!  :)))

Oh, how truly selfless of you!  ROFL

Stinkerbell

Here's a great interview with Stephenie Meyer talking about upcoming projects, Midnight Sun and her take on the Twilight movie.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20234559_20234567_20238527,00.html

CindyLouWho

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 11, 2008, 09:20:34 AM
Oh, how truly selfless of you!  ROFL

:)) :))  Be glad to share my dreams but not Edward!!   :))) :)))  Can't ya tell I am a big dreamer??  :))

Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

Has anyone else read the Dark-Hunter books?  They are like the Harlequin Romance novels, but with a twist - demons, gods, godesses, vampires...
I think they are pretty well written and each book tells the story of a specific Dark Hunter.  Kinda fun, but sexually explicit in places and lot's of naughty language  :)))  I'm surprised to find that they sell on eBay for near new price.

CindyLouWho

Well they sound like my kinda books!   :)))  No jk, I been watching Ebay trying to get a good buy on em but they seem to be going little high for me but I'll keep checking.  My library has some but not all of em. 

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on November 11, 2008, 11:36:20 PM
Well they sound like my kinda books!   :)))  No jk, I been watching Ebay trying to get a good buy on em but they seem to be going little high for me but I'll keep checking.  My library has some but not all of em. 

There's usually enough backstory in the books to so that you can read them out of order.  I probably read 5 of the (I think) 17 or so books out of order and wasn't too lost.  And the author, Sherrilyn Kenyon, has a website where you can go and learn about each Dark Hunter, etc.
Of all the books, Acheron is my favorite.  He's kinda the hero throughout all the stories and always seemed rather odd but his book cleared things up nicely.

http://www.dailyinquisitor.com/hunter/intro.htm

Tara

Y'all need to move your library to its own section. :)))

This is a recording.

CindyLouWho

Anyone read any of "Evanovich, Janet" books?  I'm reading her Stephanie Plum series & just starting the 2nd book, so far they are good with lot of humor.  Trying to help pass time quickly til the 21st,  :))

Kris

Quote from: CindyLouWho on November 14, 2008, 10:17:59 PM
Anyone read any of "Evanovich, Janet" books?  I'm reading her Stephanie Plum series & just starting the 2nd book, so far they are good with lot of humor.  Trying to help pass time quickly til the 21st,  :))

I've read all of her books and they are great-Ranger is my Edward :))

;::

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Ethel on November 15, 2008, 05:13:55 AM

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went to her website.  The Stephanie Plum books, do they need to be read in order?
If so, are there any 'stand alone' books by Evanovich?

CindyLouWho

Quote from: Ethel on November 15, 2008, 05:13:55 AM

Yea Ranger seems pretty awesome so far but I gotta know him more yet..lol  I'm still debating about the cop, Joe  :))) but it seems good too

CindyLouWho

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 15, 2008, 09:36:35 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.  I went to her website.  The Stephanie Plum books, do they need to be read in order?
If so, are there any 'stand alone' books by Evanovich?

I'm not sure at this point but because of the history of the charactors I'd think it'd be better to read em in order, Ethel would know better than me

Stinkerbell

I just started a book by Christine Feehan.  I didn't realize it was part of a series, too.  So far it's good.  It's called Dark Prince... a vampire novel.  Go figure.   :)))

CindyLouWho

LOL let me know if its good & I'll add it to my list to check into  <:>

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on November 15, 2008, 06:41:14 PM
LOL let me know if its good & I'll add it to my list to check into  <:>

So far it's rather "dark."  I want to compare the writing style with Anne Rice, but not as descriptive.  Not as wordy.  Rice can spend 20 pages describing a leaf that only needed 1 paragraph worth of verbage, if that.  The first book is about Mikhail Dubrinsky, the Dark Prince and leader of the Carpathian non-vampires.  They remind me slightly of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters.  Anyway, Mikhail isn't one to take no for an answer and when he finds his 'life-mate' he uses his magic, his special abilities, to pursuade this human to be his for eternity.  She is very hesitant but like I said, he's not taking her refusal sitting down.  Literally.  He seduces her in the library, in the bedroom.. he uses his mind powers to weaken her... and I'm only on page 93.   :))
It seems as though these need to be read in order, however on Christine Feehans website, it says it isn't necessary.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview