Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Worms

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

CindyLouWho

:))) :))) my lips are sealed or I could get in trouble!   :))) :)))

Stinkerbell

If anyone is looking for a great book for a young adult, male or female, check out Sons of Avalon, Merlin's Prophecy by Dee Marie.  It's the first in a series and my son, 15 years old, is loving it.  5 stars, 4 reviews at Amazon.com  Story description:

Product Description
The Rebirth of a Legend!

Chaos ensues as Rome abandons Britain, leaving native Britons alone to defend their shores from the growing Saxon invasion. Set in 5th Century Britain, this retelling of the traditional legends of Merlin, King Arthur, and Avalon, blends a mixture of historical fact with Arthurian fantasy.

Refreshingly innovative, the tale spans the mysterious birth of Merlin, climaxing with the conception of Arthur, the legendary future king of Britain. A young Merlin advises three High Kings: to fight through the bedlam, fight for the right to rule, fight to save the future treasure of Britain!

Interlacing love, revenge, mystery and murder, with a dash of humor, this coming of age adventure is a guide through the shrouded tales that embrace the--Sons of Avalon...

Stinkerbell

My son just read another fantastic book, The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan.  5 stars, 16 reviews at Amazon.com.  Here is the book's description:

Product Description

In The Crown Conspiracy, Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in the murder of the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out and so begins this epic tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend. Whether you are looking for a single novel, or a multi-book saga, The Crown Conspiracy is the place to begin. It is a heroic fantasy adventure written for a general audience and conceived as a single epic tale. This series is told through six self-contained episodes, each complete in its own right. Across the entire chronicle, mysteries build, characters deepen, and plots thicken, but none of the books end in a disappointing cliffhanger or require you to read a previous book to fully enjoy the one you are on.

kim23il

Well I went up the street to my local library and got a library card. Well the Twilight list is 140 people, but the Library should be getting their own series  very soon. And I on first grab for all 4! Hopefully I can renew them once I get them lol. The list for the last 2 books of the series was only 70 and 80 people, but I can't read the books out of series lol. I am just so excited to actually be starting the series soon! <:>

CindyLouWho

Kim, so glad you're gonna be able to read the series & yes, definitely do read the books in order.  The books were supposedly made for younger readers but from what I'm seen & read on the net, lot of moms & grandmoms like em too!!  I know this 1 does   :))) :)))

Stinkerbell

Here's book 1 in a series, sort of.  Can be read out of order, sort of.  Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.  My daughters really loved it.  5 stars with 160 reviews on Amazon.com

Debut author Shannon Hale succeeds wonderfully with her first novel, "The Goose Girl." A retelling of the moderately well-known tale collected by the Brothers Grimm, she reinvents the story for a modern audience.
Ani, a crown princess, learns at an early age that her special gifts are not those valued by her queen mother and her future subjects. She is eventually sent to marry a prince in a different kingdom, but along the way is overthrown by her lady-in-waiting. Ani becomes a servant, tending geese, while she searches for a way to return to the marriage and throne that is rightfully her own.

Hale has reimagined the story in such a way as to give us a strong, if flawed, heroine with a conscience. In this book, the reader isn't left wondering how a princess could allow herself to be displaced so easily from her birthright. We are also given a magical reason for Ani's successful sojourn with geese. Ultimately, Hale's prose is the book's greatest asset. Ani and her world are vivid creations, ready to be shared during a long, quiet read.

If you enjoy fairy tale novelizations, such as those by Robin McKinley and Donna Jo Napoli, this book will make a great addition to your bookshelf. If you simply like historical fantasy, forget the fairy tale, this novel will also please. Royalty, deception, intrigue, treason, and redemption make up a story that doesn't obviously derive from a fairy tale.

Stinkerbell

One of the books I recommended earlier just got an award.  Here's the review:

MERLIN'S PROPHECY by Dee Marie
Category:  Fantasy
Age Recommendation:  Grades 6+
Release Date:  2/8/08
Publisher:  Conceptual Images Publishing
Reviewed by:  Marta Morrison
Rating:  5 Stars

I have always been enamored with the Arthurian legends. 

I have read many of the books that have been published on the subject.  The one thing that I have a problem with is that the legend changes according to each historian/author, and I have problems keeping the characters straight.  There are lots of characters and the names are sometimes very much alike.  Those are the problems - but the greatest thing is that the stories are fascinating and a lot of fun. 

This rendition of the story of Merlin is great.  It has a lot of charm and is written in a way most of us can understand. 

Merlin is a fairy child.  His mother is the Lady of the Lake.  She left him as a babe in the woods and he was adopted by an elderly couple. At the age of six, he is violently taken from this couple and is sent by his mother to be the advisor to the current King and the future King of Britain. 

Britain is being invaded by the Saxons and it is a brutal period in history.  Merlin is gifted with many powers - he can heal, see visions, and predict the future.  He advises King Ambrosious and his brother, Uther. 

MERLIN'S PROPHECY is filled with intrigue, battles, romance, and fun.  I can't wait to read the next installment in the SONS OF AVALON series. 

http://www.teensreadtoo.com/HallOfFame.html

Tara

I just read this book...it was pretty good.  hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

CindyLouWho

I'm reading The Prey by Allison Brennan & its really good, a murder mystery thriller.  Got another 1 of hers to read next. 

I've read couple of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books & they are great so gotta get some more of hers to cause I wanta read em all  cheesy.gif

I'm also reading thru Janet Evanovich's Steph Plum series books again cause I am so addicted to those  huh.gif

Stinkerbell

Homer

jarjar

Homer

jarjar

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on February 09, 2009, 04:58:00 PM
Squid sucks. Get it now?  giggle2.gif

I guess they do.  They have those little suction cup thingies.  I just thought I was missing something... I still feel like I'm missing something.   sad.gif

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on February 09, 2009, 06:58:54 PM
I guess they do.  They have those little suction cup thingies.  I just thought I was missing something... I still feel like I'm missing something.   sad.gif

It was a joke.

Tara

Quote from: Stinkerbell on February 09, 2009, 06:58:54 PM

Quit playing dumb.   slap1.gif

Quote from: Homer on February 09, 2009, 07:06:26 PM
It was a joke.

She's playing dumb, don't fall for that.  slap1.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Tara on February 09, 2009, 07:38:14 PM
Quit playing dumb.   slap1.gif

She's playing dumb, don't fall for that.  slap1.gif

Nope, no playing.  I'm the real McCoy.  Is it a real book?

Tara

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview