Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

ISP Provider

Started by pete379,

Previous topic - Next topic

pete379

I would like some help please. I currently have AOL (hell) and would like a cheap isp. I use a laptop at home and use a router from at&t. I use my laptop on the road then I use a sprint wireless card. I basically would just use it for e-mail's and to access my 150 page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :!!

Stinkerbell

There are several options based on where you're at.  Here in CA there's a company called DSL Extreme.  It might also be elsewhere, I don't know.  Everyone who uses it raves about it and they have local tech support.. no calls over seas where you can barely understand the person on the other end...

http://www2.dslextreme.com/

Also, there's NetZero, but I don't hear much about them at all.  Their ad says dial up for $4.95 per month, but I have no idea how reliable they are...

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=F/

One last option would be to contact local colleges.  They will often times have a company they use that offers discounts to college students and sometimes even the colleges themselves will have wireless hot spots where you can access for free.  You'd have to check around, but many of my daughters college friends would access that way. 

Then, whichever you decide to go with, keep in mind that you immediately call AOL and tell them that you'll be connecting via BYOA (Bring Your Own Access) and they will stop billing you and you'll still get AOL, you just won't have to pay for it.

Hope this helps some!!

Good luck!

pete379

Thank you Stinkerbell, I will look into my options. Thanks for your help. :/\ tumbsup.gif

Stinkerbell

You're very welcome, Pete! 

Keep checking back here because there are some very smart and computer savvy people who post on this forum, there may be more and better suggestions.

FreecellFanny

At least where you folks live you have options.

We live in the sticks of Downeast Maine and our only options are dial-up and satellite...the satellite we have and it stinks worse than dial-up. Right now we are piggybacking on my neighbours wireless (she knows we are doing it).

I do NOT recommend Wildblue. They suck. No matter how good they say they are a hamster in a wheel could generate more power. As soon as our contract expires we are cancelling.  >:D

Stinkerbell

That stinks, Fanny!!  Maybe the phone compant will offer DSL soon.

casahilo

Wow
I looked up DSL Extreme. 14.95 a month for 768 Kbp up to 29.95 for 6000 Kbp.
Here in central Mexico we pay 36.00 for 128 Kbp. That's the fastest package they offer. And, they are the only game in town.
But, I'm happy to have 'em!
jester.gif

FreecellFanny

Quote from: Stinkerbell on May 11, 2008, 07:38:27 AM
That stinks, Fanny!!  Maybe the phone compant will offer DSL soon.

Oy, the phone company!

We were with Verizon; in the other part of this same town we are in we waited 4 years before they offered high speed. Didn't have the right kind of phone lines. They were slowly working their way through the town but it's still not where we are living now.

Just a few months ago Verizon sold out to a company called Fair Point Communications and these idiots don't even offer online bill payment yet. I had to write a bloody cheque to pay the bill. Can you imagine how long it will take them to install high speed lines??

How bloody backwards is that??   >:D

Stinkerbell

My parents and I have the same ISP and they have DSL and I have FIOS.  No comparison... FIOS is much faster and much more reliable.  Where we lived before we had cable internet and I thought that was better than DSL, too.  It might be because our phone lines were older, I don't know.  I wouldn't want to have to give up the FIOS.

SpunkyGirl

Quote from: FreecellFanny on May 11, 2008, 12:14:42 AM

We live in the sticks of Downeast Maine and our only options are dial-up and satellite...the satellite we have and it stinks worse than dial-up. Right now we are piggybacking on my neighbours wireless (she knows we are doing it).

I do NOT recommend Wildblue. They suck. No matter how good they say they are a hamster in a wheel could generate more power. As soon as our contract expires we are cancelling.  >:D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or Hughes net either..................They stink!

pammer

Quote from: FreecellFanny on May 11, 2008, 12:14:42 AM

thought i was the only hostage of wildblue  :'((

FreecellFanny

Hughes net and Wildblue are the absolute worst.

No Pammer, you are not alone.  6_6.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview