This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Poppit! Bingo : Pop 150 Prize Balloons this week! [Download Cheat]
Word Search Daily HD : Find 300 words this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

WiFi and laptops

Started by harley89,

Previous topic - Next topic

harley89

I got a laptop about month ago and it is great. One question since I am not real smart yet about WiFi. My laptop has a built in card. I can sit out in the pasture between my house and my daughters house and get on line. I do not keep any personal info on the laptop. Yesterday I was at the hospital with my Dad and powered up the laptop. It said several signals available. The lady at the check in desk said Wifi was available. My question is when I brought up the signals available and there were about 5 they all had different names and said security enabled. Not wanting to be accused of hacking the hospital computer system I did not try any of them. Just asking if those were the avaialble WiFi signals

Homer

you would not be able to use the security locked signals without the log in info

next time ask the nurse which signal to use

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: harley89 on August 22, 2008, 06:25:15 AM
I got a laptop about month ago and it is great. One question since I am not real smart yet about WiFi. My laptop has a built in card. I can sit out in the pasture between my house and my daughters house and get on line. I do not keep any personal info on the laptop. Yesterday I was at the hospital with my Dad and powered up the laptop. It said several signals available. The lady at the check in desk said Wifi was available. My question is when I brought up the signals available and there were about 5 they all had different names and said security enabled. Not wanting to be accused of hacking the hospital computer system I did not try any of them. Just asking if those were the avaialble WiFi signals

When we were on the cruise, there were Wireless areas available in several locations of the ship, but you still had to pay for it so they gave you a little usb device to plug into the computer for access.  BUT, in port in Cabo, there was an area on deck where you could sit and tap into UNsecured access... but... unsecured is... UNsecure.  I remember being on the balcony and there were other ships nearby.  I would check for wireless signals and could see all the ships and local cafes, but all were secured, requiring a password.

Like Homer said, next time as the nurse and she can tell you which signal to use and supply you with the necessary codes.   (OO)

arniebear

I just bought a new router a few months ago and was running unsecured, because an older computer I have just would not connect if I tried to secure the network.  I left it go and my speed kept getting slower, I finally checked and found several Wii's and a couple of neighbors computers on my dime.  Went out and bought a USB adapter for the older comp and secured it.........now everybody is locked out including the gamers.

harley89

Thanks for the info I know what to do next time.

Nonnie

Arniebear call the router support and they will walk you through a encryption to make it private than you have to do the encrypting to all of your computers just went through that.  I just went through that in spring and when my daughter came up last week I had to give her the password to log on.  So thus no one can use your line even if you see the other people around you!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview