Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Wireless Internet

Started by KimberlyAnn,

Previous topic - Next topic

KimberlyAnn

Does anyone know about troubleshooting wireless connects to the internet on a laptop? 

I have the connection, but when it connects it tells me it's acquiring network address, but it never is able to find one.

It's worked before, but just got it back from maintenance work on the monitor and now it doesn't seem to work.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stinkerbell

If no one has any better ideas, try contacting your ISP and they can walk you through connecting.  Good luck!

Homer

Check The Wired Network

When you encounter wireless network connection problems, one of the first things you should do is check your wired network connections. Look for the lights on your broadband modem to make sure it has a connection to your ISP; dig out the manual if you need assistance identifying the lights. Also, check the network cable connections among the modem and your router and wireless access point and make sure they all have secure connections.

Turn It Off & On Again

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones that work the best. When you're encountering wireless connection problems, try turning your wireless access point off and then back on again. You'll want to try the same trick with your wireless network card.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

KimberlyAnn

Thanks for your help, I've checked all my connections and lights and they are all good.  I plugged in the ethernet cable into my laptop to make sure it wasn't anything wrong with my laptop, and that worked.

I'll try and call my ISP and see if they will help me, otherwise it's back to paying someone to come and re-hook it up for another $200.

Thanks again

Mayhem

$200?!

No house call should ever cost that much - especially just to troubleshoot the wireless connection.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

KimberlyAnn

I go through the Geek Squad at Best Buy and when I asked them about it they said it would cost $180 plus tax for them to come out and find out what the problem was and to fix the problem. 

They are the ones that first hooked up the internet for me, I just didn't want to have to pay them again, if I could maybe try and fix the problem myself.

Mayhem

Ah .. Geek Squad. That explains the ridiculous prices.

Your best bet is to check the classifieds section in your local newspaper for computer repair / troubleshooting.

You should be able to find someone (that is certified) that will come to your home and fix your wireless connection for about $50.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

FreecellFanny

Or you can do what my Mum did: contact the local high school or community college and ask them who their best geek is.  tumbsup.gif

harley89

Just a shot in the dark but if you have wireless security your program could be blocking connection.  By the way I HOPE you have wireless security

Homer

Make sure your wireless card is turned on. There should be a switch on the side of your laptop that turns it on or off. Sometimes people accidentally turn this off and don't realize it. If it isn't that I would try your ISP. They may be able to walk you through it.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Mistyeyed

i had to have the guys from circuit city come out and set mine up for me..i got a laptop last year and the connection kept disconnecting on me...i called them,they are much cheaper than best buy,but it might depend on where you live also..

harley89

Quote from: Homer on October 14, 2008, 05:11:00 AM
Make sure your wireless card is turned on. There should be a switch on the side of your laptop that turns it on or off. Sometimes people accidentally turn this off and don't realize it. If it isn't that I would try your ISP. They may be able to walk you through it.
Mine doesnt have the switch but the new laptops for my granddaughters Christmas presents do.   And yes I only have 2 more gifts to buy and I am done 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview