Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Tipping Policies

Started by jonifecher2006,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Quote from: ~Sassy~ on November 22, 2008, 11:03:16 PM

I too have worked as a waitress and I was a very good one and always was given tips accordingingly. People are not and should not be forced to give anyone a tip. If you perform above or beyond what I feel your job requires I will tip you for your excellent service...I will not tip you for duties expected already of you by your employer or for the mere fact you are employed there and breathing. Do something a little extra to take care of the next person if you want to be compensated with TIPS.

You summed up my point exactly.  I'm already paying their salary by eating in their restaurant and sleeping in their hotel, etc.  You want a tip, EARN it.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Tara on November 23, 2008, 05:50:05 AM

This whole topic should be placed under "Books", like really soon.  :)))

What should we call it?  For Whom The Tips Come?  To Tip Or Not To Tip?  Gone With The Tips?  :)))

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 23, 2008, 08:33:46 AM
And minimum wage should be paid regardless of where you live, but in some states, the restaurant employers will pay below minimum, ASSuming in the tip compensation as part of the salary.

My first job as a teen was working for White Castle and they paid us 99 cents an hour when minimum wage was $3.35/hr and we had to work for tips to make the rest of our salary.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Mary

Quote from: Homer on November 23, 2008, 08:59:11 AM
My first job as a teen was working for White Castle and they paid us 99 cents an hour when minimum wage was $3.35/hr and we had to work for tips to make the rest of our salary.

Wow Homer sure tellin your age  :)) sorry to funny  :))

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on November 23, 2008, 08:59:11 AM

See, they shouldn't be able to get away with that because it doesn't matter how good you are, some people are just too cheap to tip.  Especially when the economy is bad.

My first job was a waitress at a Pizza Hut restaurant and the very nature of the establishment did NOT lend well to tipping.  I remember the place was right next to a Fox walk-in theater that changed movies every Wednesday night.  The PH would be packed, on those night.  I would be the only waitress and if I was lucky I'd make 20 bucks on that night.  Back then, and in that type of restaurant, a $1.00 tip was outstanding.  But because so many kids ate there on weekend nights, I was lucky to get 25 cents a table. 

FreecellFanny

Getting good tips in restaurants is the same as the hotel business: if the establishment doesn't lend itself to upscale clientel you ain't gonna rake in the bucks. Sorry, but it's true.

The best tipping job I ever had was when I was a waitress in a strip joint in the early eighties. I worked a 5 hour shift from 11 am to 4 pm; the first hour was spent on set-up and cleaning and the first customers would walk in the door at noon time so I got 4 hours to make as much money as I could.

If I made less than $200 in that four hours I knew I had to step it up. In that industry that meant higher spike heels, a lower cut top, and a higher cut in the leg area of the bottom part of my outfit. And needless to say I wasn't beyond giving the odd wink or light touch to any or all of the leering, drunken leches that frequented the bar.

My point is that it is not what you have but how you package and present it and that is true of any industry. ;)

jonifecher2006

Sorry about the penny part. A penny jeads up means good service & heads down is poor service...Joni

Homer

I was at the bakery today and they had a tip jar. :o

I bought $50 worth of cakes, pies and goodies for Thanksgving.

I'm not cheap. In fact I have a policy of overtipping for good service and undertipping for bad service. Why would I ever tip the bakery?  ::)

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on November 24, 2008, 01:51:15 PM
I was at the bakery today and they had a tip jar. :o

I bought $50 worth of cakes, pies and goodies for Thanksgving.

I'm not cheap. In fact I have a policy of overtipping for good service and undertipping for bad service. Why would I ever tip the bakery?  ::)

Yeah, all you're doing is going in a buying bread or pie or whatever.... it was already made which is why you're able to buy it... they aren't bringing it to your home or anything like that. 
There's a drive thru bagel place we go to when we are down the hill and they have a roastbeef sandwich on the menu and that is what I frequently buy.  Over the past 3 years, on 5 separate occassions, they have failed to put the roast beef on the sandwich.  It's so ridiculous. Hello?  Who buys and pays for a roast beef sandwich, hold the roast beef?  Anyway, they have a place on the receipt to add a tip, which I like to do because the girl taking the order also makes the sandwiches.  But, you pay before they give you the food, so I don't want to tip until I've checked the order... and they get snippy about it.  So I stopped tipping and they got snippier. 
You can't win....

disneyland lady

It is the age old argument of gratuity vs tip. I recently dined at a high end restaurant (Morton's) with a gift certificate that I had won for $200 (which about covered a steak with one veggie times 2 people). I was prepared to pay 15% as the tip but saw that there was a "service charge" added to the total and was so ticked off at being told what I needed to "tip" that the only one who got tipped was the valet who got my hyundai in the midst of all the Escalades. Perhaps if they just got rid of the word TIP and added a service charge on to our meals we would all feel better. Then we could tip those people who go above and beyond.

disneyland lady insane diego

FreecellFanny

I do not agree with tips and service charges being added automatically. They do that at the Hard Rock Cafe for tables of 6 or more.

In my opinion, that policy only encourages servers to be lazy because they know they are going to get their 15%.

And Disneylandlady, I am shocked about lax service at a place like Morton's.  :-\

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview