Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Tipping Policies

Started by jonifecher2006,

Previous topic - Next topic

jonifecher2006

%% I just wanted to know who started leaving a penny for good service in a motel room ? We ( Housekeepers ) don't even make mininmium wage ( see we can't even afford to spell correctly ) & it takes more effort to pick up tha  stupid cent. You tip waitresses but don't tip us. We provide a service for you. Maybe that's why hotel/motel work is called the service industry.... Joni in Norfolk,VA

Homer

Tara never tips me either and I provide a service.  :'((

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Tara

Quote from: Homer on November 22, 2008, 01:02:06 PM
Tara never tips me either and I provide a service.  :'((

Slapping me is a service?  !@#$

Homer

disneyland lady

Squid

Quote from: jonifecher2006 on November 22, 2008, 12:43:44 PM
We ( Housekeepers ) don't even make mininmium wage ( see we can't even afford to spell correctly )

:)))  That was cute.

harley89

Not trying to start anything but around here leaving a penny means poor service.  My husband has done it for over 30 years. he tips well for good service but act lack you are doing a favor and you get a penny. 

FreecellFanny

Quote from: jonifecher2006 on November 22, 2008, 12:43:44 PM
%% I just wanted to know who started leaving a penny for good service in a motel room ? We ( Housekeepers ) don't even make mininmium wage ( see we can't even afford to spell correctly ) & it takes more effort to pick up tha  stupid cent. You tip waitresses but don't tip us. We provide a service for you. Maybe that's why hotel/motel work is called the service industry.... Joni in Norfolk,VA

Since I don't know what level of motel you work in (motel was your word, not mine) I cannot offer you a hard and fast opinion.

However...and yes, I always have an opinion... :)))

I personally would never think to leave a tip for anyone at a roadside motel or inn. You park at the office, sign in and get your key. You then drive to the door of your room and carry your bags in yourself.

Why would I tip anyone for that?

However, if I am staying at an upscale bed and breakfast or hotel (Hilton, Sheraton, et al) where someone carries your bags to your room, brings you room service, turns down your bed, leaves a chocolate on your pillow, and other services like that, I wouldn't dream of NOT leaving a tip.

That being said, the rates vary. I checked out some tipping etiquette and found this:

Chambermaid: $5 a night minimum. More if long stays (over a week) Consider $7 to $9 a night.
Room Service Waiter: 15% of bill
Bellhop: $10 for bringing you to your room with luggage; $5 dollars for opening and showing the room
Lobby Attendant: none for opening door or calling taxi from stand; $1 dollar or more for help with luggage or finding a taxi on the street
Desk Clerk: none unless special service is given during long stay then, $5
Concierge: $5-$10 Average. More for special services or favors

We stayed at a Hilton recently and while it was a nice hotel I can't think of any service that warranted a tip except the nice young man who ran the shuttle to and from the ferry into New York City and yes, we tipped him the equivalent of $5 per trip on our last day there. We took our own bags to our room, got our own coffee in the morning, and took our own bags down when we checked out.

Yes, the housekeeper came in and made the beds and replaced the towels every day but she/he didn't replenish soap, shampoo, cups, tissues, or coffee packs.

So I ask again, what is there to tip? Nothing in my opinion. He/she performed the basics (which I assume is figured into the price of the room) but they certainly did nothing extra; they did not go above and beyond.

I really think Joni, that the average traveller doesn't understand the concept of tipping and unless you work in a more upscale type of establishment (where the restaurant has a sommelier, for example) then you aren't going to find the class of people that are going to tip.

Tara

I need a tip on how to get this last yahtzee badge faster.  :,

Homer

Tara

Quote from: Homer on November 22, 2008, 04:45:17 PM

Why is that messed up writing in your quote before my smiley?  It's really getting on my nerves. :)))  And what are you giving me with your tongue all hanging out?  :)))

Stinkerbell

I had actually started this about 5 hours ago when I received a frantic call from my oldest daughter telling me that she was at the theater to see Twilight and there was no one there I should rush right over and meet her... which I did and is why my original post never got finished.

I'm sorry your employer doesn't pay you enough, but I don't see the point or the need to tip for a service I already paid for.  When I go to a hotel, I assume the bed will be made, there will be towels, shampoo, etc.... that is what I paid for, after all.  And since I am paying the same rate every night, I expect the same service every night.  That said, if I order room service, I tip.  If I need extra towels, or pillows, or something of that nature, I will tip.  When we were on our cruise, our room steward, Jeri, went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above and beyond his required duties and we tipped him very well... in addition to the gratuity added to the bill by the cruise line. 

It bothers me, when going to a restaurant, that tipping is expected or required.  It's not like they would allow me to go to the kitchen and tell the cook what I want or go and get my own food, is it?  So isn't it then to be assumed that I am already paying for said food to be brought to my table in the cost of the bill?  And then again the assumption can be made that the person delivering said meal is being paid by someone.  Why then should I have to tip a waiter or waitress to get it to me?  Now, that said.. if said waiter or waitress keeps my water glass filled, gets the order right, clears the table.... does something extra special... they are well tipped.

I remember one time when we were at dinner and the waitress was horrible.  Our food was delivered cold, she had messed up the order... it was really bad.  When the bill came, lets say it was $32.00.  I paid with 2 20's.  We waited and waited and waited for the change and finally had to ask for it.  She was shocked we wanted change... she assumed the $8.00 remaining was for her.  I was livid and she didn't get anything at all.

I know this will come across as too blunt, not politically correct or compassionate enough, and to that I say "oh, well."

And yes, I did work as a waitress for many years and some people tipped, some didn't.

Monkey

Quote from: FreecellFanny on November 22, 2008, 04:01:33 PM
I personally would never think to leave a tip for anyone at a roadside motel or inn. You park at the office, sign in and get your key. You then drive to the door of your room and carry your bags in yourself.

Why would I tip anyone for that?

However, if I am staying at an upscale bed and breakfast or hotel (Hilton, Sheraton, et al) where someone carries your bags to your room, brings you room service, turns down your bed, leaves a chocolate on your pillow, and other services like that, I wouldn't dream of NOT leaving a tip.
100% agreed.

harley89

I think everyone has their own ideas on tipping. I go to a takeout place.  I always tip the girl at the counter. Why she makes it clear she values my business. I also tip my hairdresser she is really great.  Always remembers what our last talk was about. Even though it was months before.  Now when it comes to motel hotel housekeeping that is a area I  dont know alot about. For over 30 years i never went any where if I could not come home at night. And I prefer camping anyway. But if the time comes and I do stay in one I would give it some thought.

~Sassy~

I knew this would start a long thread. The origin and meaning of the word tips (an acronmn)...is...To Insure Prompt Service.
It is not a requirement for anyone to leave a tip. Unless it is somehow already figured in or added to their bill and those establishments who add it to a bill always make it clear ahead of time.
I too have worked as a waitress and I was a very good one and always was given tips accordingingly. People are not and should not be forced to give anyone a tip. If you perform above or beyond what I feel your job requires I will tip you for your excellent service...I will not tip you for duties expected already of you by your employer or for the mere fact you are employed there and breathing. Do something a little extra to take care of the next person if you want to be compensated with TIPS.
The act of leaving a penny tip is considered a way of letting the person know that their service was terrible. The person will often not come back to that establishment because of it. Sometimes the same people will advise management too, but if they are not available because of the time of day...the penny left under the plate or maybe in your case left on the bed, is sending a clear message! Pick up the penny and remember the message it is sending. You did not do a good enough job to be worthy of a tip.
And it is called a service industry for a reason...your company is providing a service and your company is paid for it. It is their duty not ours to see to it that you are compensated. A tip is a gratuity to be earned not expected. Literal meaning from Webster dictionary: Something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service. 

Quoted from Wikipedia:When a server has not adequately addressed issues a customer has with service, the patron sometimes speaks to management to have the problems corrected before considering reducing the tip significantly. In extreme cases of awful service, people sometimes leave no tip. Some people show displeasure through the practice of leaving a very small tip (such as one penny), though this insult is incorrect etiquette.

You might want to visit their site (Wikipedia) to see how different countries view tipping. In some countries it is NOT allowed and considered an insult.

Final words. You want a tip give excellent service all the time, every time.

scbyfn12007

my kids think i am bonkers  :pp when we stay at a motel/ hotel  we r not alowed to leave the room till i fold the used towels. i also take all the garbage , make all beds clean the room yes u read it here CLEAN the room !!! i bring my own cleaning products. i leave the place in the same way i found it. i also leave a i hope great tip!!!!! i no these people work hard and get paid peanuts . 6_6.gif when i go to restraunt i put all of our plates,cups, silverware all together in 1 pile and try to leave no mess!! i also try to tip well there to again working  for peanuts!!! 6_6.gif i no these people work hard i never leave a tip on the table. i bring it 2 them and thank them in person or 1 of my children bring it 2 them

FreecellFanny

QuoteI'm sorry your employer doesn't pay you enough, but I don't see the point or the need to tip for a service I already paid for.  When I go to a hotel, I assume the bed will be made, there will be towels, shampoo, etc.... that is what I paid for, after all.  And since I am paying the same rate every night, I expect the same service every night.

I spent many years in the service industry: restaurant waitress, strip club waitress, chambermaid. I went into those jobs knowing that my hourly rate of pay was lower than normal. I also realized that because of that fact I would have to go above and beyond my expected duties if I was to maximize my tipping potential.

At one restaurant I was hired at I had to go through a two week training period before I was even allowed near a table with customers sitting at it.  :))

I knew in all of those places that I had to do things that the customer would notice and remember. Things that may seem small and insignificant to someone who doesn't care but as a customer, things that I would think were worthy of a gratuity.

My biggest gripe with restaurant wait staff (and this seems prevalent to me more than anything else) is that they don't clear dirty plates after I've finished eating. I have had my coffee refilled (after I've had to ask for it of course) and my dessert delivered and still my empty entree plate sits on the table.

I also don't appreciate being presented with the check before I've even had a chance to finish eating my meal.

Bring out my meal at the same time you bring out the meal of my companion. If mine is ready before theirs, keep it under a heat lamp until the last plate is up. If there is going to be a lengthy delay come out and tell me; don't let me sit there and steam.

DO ask me how my meal is after a few bites but DON'T ask me right after I've put a forkful of mashed potatoes in my mouth.

DO be friendly and make sure you smile but DON'T talk my ear off. I am there to eat and talk to my companion or, if I am alone I am alone for a reason. DON'T assume I want your company.

As previously stated for chambermaids the basic room cleaning and making of the beds is an expected service. I have yet to see an a la carte menu for services at a hotel!

Generally speaking, one night stays (in my opinion) do not qualify for tipping unless I am at a high class place. Unless your guests are staying for an extended period you cannot reasonably expect a tip.

You must also invest in your own potential. One way I did that in the past was to buy a large box of individually wrapped mints (Andes mints for example). Leave one on the pillows for the extended stay guests.

Learn how to fold the towels in an exotic design and leave one right beside the sink with a new bar of soap tucked in with it. Yes, remove the unwrapped used bars left in the shower.

Leave a card on the table (have them printed - don't handwrite them) with a note that tells the guest your name and that if they need anything they can reach you at an extension number and you would be happy to bring it to them.

Little things like this may not get you a gratuity every time but I guarantee that in the long run what goes around comes around and guests will remember you. Sometimes the best tip you can get is that the guest tells your boss how attentive you were which can translate into more money when you are being considered for a raise.

I would also offer advice to waitresses in strip joints but this is a family establishment.  :)))

Tara

This whole topic should be placed under "Books", like really soon.  :)))

Squid

I've waited on many tables while getting through school although I've never been a chambermaid.  Even when I was doing service work, I was always amazed at how tipping has become a requirement.  There was a time when tipping was a display of gratitude for "going the extra mile"..... giving some special attention - hence the term, "gratuity".  Nowadays it seems to be an excuse for either employers to get away with paying employees less than a living wage.... or.... for employees to keep their hands out, expecting more cash.  I am a very good tipper under most circumstances but I absolutely refuse to leave money in those countertop jars in small businesses when I had to wait on a line to get what I wanted and no one actually served me.  Simply working behind a counter does not qualify someone as "wait staff". 

I think Fanny gave some excellent advice and guidelines.

Stinkerbell

And minimum wage should be paid regardless of where you live, but in some states, the restaurant employers will pay below minimum, ASSuming in the tip compensation as part of the salary.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview