Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Cleaning Diamonds

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I know that someone here will know the answer.

My mother, for my birthday, gave me my grandmothers wedding rings. My mother has been wearing it since my grandmother passed many years ago. Now, my mother is a heavy smoker and the ring was filthy, with black gunk caked in the lacey filagree of the gold and the mounting prongs.

My daughter used a soft bristled toothbrush and toothpaste and the diamonds are shining, but there is still a lot of gunk in the lacey, delicate areas.

Can anyone suggest the best way to clean that out?

C~M

yup, take it to the jewelers and have them do it...come on, us cheaters should know the easy way to do things...lol

Squid

hillbillyjim

Quote from: CrazyMan on April 27, 2009, 07:16:59 PM
yup, take it to the jewelers and have them do it...come on, us cheaters should know the easy way to do things...lol
cm is right most Jewelry shops will clean it for free. let the pros do it   tumbsup.gif

BabyCheetah

i agree with CM.  You would probably have the best results if you take it to a jeweler and have it professionally cleaned.

Stinkerbell

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate them :)

~Sassy~

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner 1

2 tablespoons liquid hand soap
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ammonia.
Add a drop of food coloring to make it look just like the store-bought cleaners.
Store in a clean glass jar.

Directions:
Briefly soak jewelry in the cleaner and rinse with water. Pat dry with soft cloth.

Can use on gold, silver, costume jewelry.

* Do not use on opal or other porous stones.

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner Recipe 2

1 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon ammonia
small squirt of Ivory dish detergent

Directions:
Mix ingredients then soak jewelry, clean with a soft jewelry or eyebrow brush. Dry fully before storing pieces.

Stinkerbell

~Sassy~

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 28, 2009, 01:18:26 PM
Thanks, Sassers!   embrace.gif

Your welcome Stinky.  embrace.gif More hints that I personally know about.

My rings shine after just squirting some Windex on them and using a small eyebrow or jewelry brush to clean. I noticed this after spring cleaning that my wedding rings were sparkling like new, so I decided to try it. It has built in ammonia for you!

And of course the trusty toothpaste but it should be used sparingly and make sure your soft bristle brush is nice and wet to keep it from doing any damage because toothpaste it is corrosive or it would not clean our teeth. I wet my rings before I put any toothpaste on there.

*Other options: Rubbing alcohol (I use to clean my rings and eyeglasses) , white vinegar (cleans anything) or baking soda paste made with water should clean out any deep down stuff. 

All of these will clean your rings, just think of what our parents and grandparents used BEFORE all of the commercial products. I always have white viegar on hand!

I am allergic to a lot of commercial products and have had to choose wisely to avoid reactions to the fumes from the preservatives they use.

I love my diamond rings so I would never want to do anything to damage them.

Good luck sweet friend.  embrace.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview