Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

mail programs

Started by popcorns,

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorns

I had to get a new pc because my other one had a melt down.  I now have vista (boohoo).  Vista has web mail and outlook express is no longer an option.  Well, I hate the web mail.  What does everyone else use.  Is there anything out there close to outlook that I can use. 

Help! girls18.gif

Joe C

Go to GOOGLE and get your free gmail account.

It is better than OUTLOOK and has built-in Instant Messenger.
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

Stinkerbell

I use the windows email program that came with Vista and it's not as good as OutLook Express, but it's ok.  I also use gmail and another great email client is Mozilla's Thunderbird.  Thunderbird is very close to OutLook, but better, if you ask me.

Squid

Outlook has served me very well.  I have several emails (personal, professional, junk/internet emails, etc) and love that I only have to go to ONE place to check all of them.  It works for me.  Sorry you lost it, popcorns.

I've never heard of Thunderbird.  Should a satisfied Outlook user still check it out?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on January 23, 2009, 07:40:25 AM
Outlook has served me very well.  I have several emails (personal, professional, junk/internet emails, etc) and love that I only have to go to ONE place to check all of them.  It works for me.  Sorry you lost it, popcorns.

I've never heard of Thunderbird.  Should a satisfied Outlook user still check it out?

If you're totally happy with Outlook, why change?  But, you can always download Thunderbird and run them both.  That's what I did while I was getting used to Thunderbird.  Then I used that exclusively.  When I got my Vista laptop, I didn't put it back on.

Joe C

I like GMAIL because I can use it at work and Instant Message with my wife!

Good times!

MsMissy

I use Hotmail, but my mail is transferred to Incredibilemail which i just love. I never heard of Gmail or Thundermail myself.  ss u lost it popcorns

disneyland lady

Quote from: MsMissy on January 23, 2009, 08:26:51 AM
I use Hotmail, but my mail is transferred to Incredibilemail which i just love. I never heard of Gmail or Thundermail myself.  ss u lost it popcorns

Gmail is part of Google. I use it when I am filling out any forms in a place that I feel will sell my email addy so my regular email server will not fill with spam. I have quite a few friends who use gmail exclusively.

popcorns

Thank you all.  I will check into these.  Sure I will find something I can use.

popcorns

Just had another thought.  Has anyone with Vista tried to download outlook express to their puter yet.

:ooo

Stinkerbell

Quote from: popcorns on January 23, 2009, 03:32:06 PM
Just had another thought.  Has anyone with Vista tried to download outlook express to their puter yet.

:ooo

I tried, but everything I read said it wasn't compatible.  I even went looking for it, and couldn't find it to download then decided it would be best to let it go.  Vista doesn't need any help from me to screw things up.

popcorns

Thanks Stinkerbell.  I know what you mean about screwing it up.  Sure does not take much with Vista.  It would not be a bad system except for that.  To many thinks woven together.  Try to remove one thing and everythings screws up or gets moved.  It does run real smooth and quite.  Just don't temper with it.  lol 

:oo   %%

Stinkerbell

Quote from: popcorns on January 24, 2009, 02:58:40 AM
Thanks Stinkerbell.  I know what you mean about screwing it up.  Sure does not take much with Vista.  It would not be a bad system except for that.  To many thinks woven together.  Try to remove one thing and everythings screws up or gets moved.  It does run real smooth and quite.  Just don't temper with it.  lol 

:oo   %%

I had also read the Microsoft was going to stop supporting Outlook Express because it was not as secure a client.  Windows email, found on Vista, is basically the same program but you don't switch identities to check mail, they all come in at once when you log in.  Thunderbird was like that, too.  The thing I don't like about that is that when you compose a new email, you have to make sure you choose the correct 'sender' identity, and also, anyone else logging in to check their mail on the computer will see your mail as well.

I sure hope you're able to find something you like.  I'm sticking with it out of necessity, but I also use gmail (Google Mail)

Oh, and another thing regarding Vista.... when I first got this computer with Vista, it was a nightmare.  Nothing was compatible, Microsoft was being sued for 'false advertising' because programs you would buy would either say "Vista Capable" or "Vista Compatible" and the difference was, but they didn't make this clear, while "compatible" meant you were good to go, "capable" meant you could get it to run on Vista, but might have to upgrade software or hardware to do so.  Anyway, I had all kinds of issues with it until my hard drive crashed and had to be replaced.  From then on I've had few problems at all and most of the problems I do have are more just learning to use a new OS.

Again, I hope you find a mail client you can love and live with!

disneyland lady

I have Windows 7 Beta (the next step up after Vista) on one of my computers and am excited at how it might be my favorite Windows of all time. But it is still a beta and while Microsoft is actually handing out rumors of releasing it just to resolve all the Vista problems, I think they need to be doing lots of advertising on this one because there is such fear of Vista.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on January 24, 2009, 06:44:05 AM
I have Windows 7 Beta (the next step up after Vista) on one of my computers and am excited at how it might be my favorite Windows of all time. But it is still a beta and while Microsoft is actually handing out rumors of releasing it just to resolve all the Vista problems, I think they need to be doing lots of advertising on this one because there is such fear of Vista.

Morning!   (OO)

I will be hard pressed to ever trust Microsoft again.  I usually never by a computer with a new OS right out of the gate, but with this laptop I didn't have a lot of choices.  The only thing that keeps me from dumping MS and going with MAC is 1., the cost and 2., uncle Otto doesn't seem to like it much.

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 24, 2009, 06:53:37 AM

Morning!   (OO)

I will be hard pressed to ever trust Microsoft again.  I usually never by a computer with a new OS right out of the gate, but with this laptop I didn't have a lot of choices.  The only thing that keeps me from dumping MS and going with MAC is 1., the cost and 2., uncle Otto doesn't seem to like it much.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

disneyland lady

Quote from: Homer on January 24, 2009, 06:58:04 AM

Looks nice and I would finally be able to pull out my 1400 Apple disks but why name something Bootcamp? Makes you think you are going to have to do squats and run a lap before you get to play on your laptop.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 24, 2009, 06:36:28 AM
I had also read the Microsoft was going to stop supporting Outlook Express because it was not as secure a client. 

I guess I'll just hold out until I am forced to make a change since it works well for me.

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 24, 2009, 06:36:28 AM
I also use gmail (Google Mail)

I have a Gmail account, too, but it comes to my Outlook Express.  If you don't use a mail program, don't you have to check for mail on the web?  Or do you have Google as a homepage or sumptin'?

Quote from: Homer on January 24, 2009, 06:58:04 AM

Looks nice and would be a possible option.  I stay away from Apple/Macs because it's not only Uncle Otto who doesn't like it; there are many applications that only use or greatly prefer IBM compatible/Windows/etc.  If there's a secret here I don't know, I'm all ears!

Joe C

I have a Gmail account, too, but it comes to my Outlook Express.  If you don't use a mail program, don't you have to check for mail on the web?  Or do you have Google as a homepage or sumptin'?

If you use GMAIL, you can log into it from ANY internet connection. It is not blocked by most Work servers. I can also check it on my BlackBerry. It is an all-around very useful email program. It is also FREE, which is quite nice.

Stinkerbell

Squidly,

I'm not talented enough to do all that fancy shmancy quoting, but here's the answer.... It comes up on my homepage which is iGoogle.  So as soon as I pull up IE, I see if I have mail.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview