This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Snowbird Solitaire : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Clear 500 crystal layers this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

veggie garden

Started by bubbleup,

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbleup

Times are tough so this year I'm planting a vegetable garden. If you have any tips or suggestions please share.
My plot is pretty small (6x6) so I can't plant anything that takes up allot of space. I've had luck with tomatoes but not peppers...thanks for any help  turkey4.gif

Squid

You might want to consider some things that take up vertical space, versus horizontal.... like string beans, etc.  You would have to provide a trellis or poles with lines extended... but it's a good use of more space when ground space is limited.  Good luck!

jarjar

Quote from: Squid on April 26, 2009, 07:04:42 AM
You might want to consider some things that take up vertical space, versus horizontal.... like string beans, etc.  You would have to provide a trellis or poles with lines extended... but it's a good use of more space when ground space is limited.  Good luck!
Yes cucumbers grow plentifull and are delicious and a very expensive item in the supermarkets. When we did plant always did the cucumbers. Good luck with your garden Bubble embrace.gif

disneyland lady

I took a couple of big bottles and planters and went online to learn how to make the topsy turvy without paying the big bucks. I had tomato and cucumber growing upside down and below them I had bell peppers and yellow squash in big planters so I could take advantage of the space in my front yard. One of the great things that happened was that I had a neighbor who saw the cukes and said she would trade some artichokes for some so we traded stuff all summer/fall. The pic is of cherry tomato (in the liter bottle) and beefsteak in the planter soon after I planted them.

harley89

cukes, tomatoes, peppers squash and some beans can produce alot in a small area.  You might want to consider using pots  for things like tomatoes  squash and peppers you can grow them in a 5gal bucket.  That will give you more ground space for other thins that need room

jarjar

DLL good for you making your own topsy turvy. I must say the plants look very healthy. You people here sure have some green thumbs  tumbsup.gif

Stinkerbell

Be sure that the things you plant to grow vertically do not block the sunlight from the lower plants.

bubbleup

Thanks everyone for your feedback  tumbsup.gif  I'd rather hear personal opinions here than taking advice from somebody at a greenhouse. Believe me I used to manage one but knew diddly about growing vegetables. My co-worker would be talking out her rear like a used car salesman telling people just what they wanted to hear.

I too had a neighbor that liked to share his home-grown produce. I would find boxes of lettuce on the front porch but ended up sneaking out to the woods in the back and dumping it . I just couldn't eat it fast enough and didn't want to hurt his feelings.

okay so maybe will try peppers again and putting things in pots...never even thought about cucumbers  embarrassed.gif

Wtg disneyland lady on your planters! Aren't you the crafty one. Never understood how the soil didn't wash out of those topsy turvy things

Stinkerbell

If you have a very large section of land, a lot of people plan "sharing gardens" where neighbors, friends or family come over and help maintain the garden so they can share in the "bounty" at harvest time.

Homer

I have planters....honey roasted peanuts. Does that count?  embarrassed.gif

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on April 26, 2009, 12:06:38 PM

low blow.gif  <---- does THAT count?

Squid

Homer

Homer

disneyland lady

Quote from: Homer on April 26, 2009, 12:06:38 PM
Better than having a planters wort.

bubbleup

You guys are too much!  hysterical.gif 

Going to buy my starter plants today at a huge new greenhouse I haven't been to before...wish me luck!  The weather has been unseasonably warm here.  dancing16.gif

Stinkerbell

jarjar

disneyland lady

I plant seeded watermelon because I love them and you cannot find a watermelon with seeds at any store in San Diego unless you go inland 25 miles to the farmers markets. Seedless varieties do not even taste like watermelon to me. I also plant my pumpkins right now so that they are ready a couple of weeks before Halloween.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview