PlayBuddy
July 02, 2024, 02:30:58 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Snowbird Solitaire : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Clear 500 crystal layers this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Uses for things around the house you would never think of!

Started by SlimsGiggles,

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimsGiggles

I have some tips on things to use different ordinary things you have around the house for things you would never even think of using them for. I was wondering if them need to be posted here or if there is a thread for me to put them under?

A few examples would be......

paper towels..... If you hate picking the silk off a freshly husked ear of corn, dampen a paper towel and run it across the ear. The towel picks up the silk, and the corn is ready for the boiling pot or grill.

If you like to buy bread in bulk, and want to freeze some of it but hate soggy bread!! Well, place a paper towel in each bag of bread to be frozen. When you're ready to eat that frozen loaf, the paper towel absorbs the moisture as the bread thaws.

Mustard....
Soothe an aching back.
Take a bath in yellow mustard to relieve an aching back or arthritis pain. Simply pour a regular 6 to 8 oz bottle of mustard into the hot water as the tub fills. Mix well and soak yourself for 15 min. If you don't have time for a bath, you can rub some on directly on the affected areas. Use only mild yellow mustard and make sure to apply it to a small test area first. Undiluted mustard may irritate your skin.

Facial Mask.
Pat your face with mild yellow mustard for a bracing facial that will soothe and stimulate your skin. Try it on a small area to make sure it don't irritate your skin.
I have many many many more tips from things around the house!
If anybody wants a way to specifically do something feel free to ask and I will see if I have something for it :)

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Hocky

Mustard smells GROSS!  I would never ever douse myself with mustard....not even for Homer!  hysterical.gif

roadwarrior

take a colander or big strainer.  Put it inside a bucket or bowl slighter bigger than it is.  Put Ice cubes in it. 

People can grab ice and the melted water falls into the bucket/bowl-no mess!!!
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

Squid

The mustard makes sense - takes us back to the day of home remedy:  mustard plasters

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

disneyland lady

My grandmother (full blood Quapaw indian) would make a poltice of mustard seeds which had honey and vinegar in it. I later looked at a jar of mustard to see that both those things are also in regular store bought mustard. It stunk but was great for bee or hornet stings. She also took the rind of a halved avocado to soften her elbows and heels of her feet. It cracked us up but now they have avocado in lots of skin products so the old knew better ways of doing some things.

SlimsGiggles

Directly protect against flea and ticks
To give your dog flea and tick protection, fill a spray bottle with equal parts of water and vinegar and apply it to your dog's coat and rub it in well. You may have more trouble with cats, as they really hate the smell.

Unset old stains
Older,set in stains will often come out in the wash after being pretreated with a solution of 3 tablespoons white vinegar and 2 tbalespoons liquid detergent in 1 quart warm water. Rub the solution into the stain, then blot dry before washing

shoppingforme

i live in the south and we swear by dryer softing sheets to repel mosquitos.   it is the best..!!! 

disneyland lady

Quote from: shoppingforme on October 06, 2009, 07:49:21 AM
i live in the south and we swear by dryer softing sheets to repel mosquitos.   it is the best..!!! 
There was a post here that said that dryer sheets also repel ants but I found that my ants walked right over it. Perhaps it was one certain brand but my family thought I was nutty to be putting them all over the bathroom floor.

SlimsGiggles

Quote from: disneyland lady on October 06, 2009, 08:19:45 AM
There was a post here that said that dryer sheets also repel ants but I found that my ants walked right over it. Perhaps it was one certain brand but my family thought I was nutty to be putting them all over the bathroom floor.
spray with white vinegar.
I use it on my counters after using my regular cleaner, and no more ants  tumbsup.gif
I have also used it in my mop water so they don't wander around my floor. Also another trick is to spray the vinegar in the cracks along the baseboards.
They also say to draw a line with chalk or flour and the ants won't cross it.

17MattFan

plastic bags filled with water repels flies. i tried this at my daughters graduation party in may and it did work.

Stinkerbell

Something I always did (before I had a dishwasher) was to add some bleach to the rinse water. That way the ants stayed out of the cabinets, too. Then I would wipe down my countertops with the bleach rinse water.

This is going to sound gross, but when my husband and I first got married, we lived in a small apartment and there were roaches. The bleach water also kept them off the counters and out of the cabinets.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview