PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 08:29:16 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Facebook "poke" could lead to jail.

Started by disneyland lady,

Previous topic - Next topic

disneyland lady

Facebook has added a couple of verbs to our collective vocabulary. There's the common "Facebook," which means to message someone or request them as a friend, despite sounding more like something you'd say to somebody before punching them (e.g. "I'll Facebook you!"). And then there's to "poke" -- a gentle way of prodding acquaintances or initiating contact with someone you don't know, despite sounding like a form of sexual assault.

Since that latter function's inception, we've been waiting for someone to get in trouble for poking people on Facebook -- and not just because we're juvenile and enjoy the double entendre. Finally we got our wish. The Tennessean is reporting that a Hendersonville, Tennessee woman, Shannon D. Jackson, was arrested for "poking" an unidentified woman and, in doing so, violating a court order that prohibits Jackson from "telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with the petitioner."

The violation, a class A misdemeanor, could result in almost a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

We've seen plenty of arrests thanks to dumb things posted on Facebook, but this is the first time (we know of, at least) that someone has been jailed for poking. A truly historic day indeed. [From: The Tennessean]

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on October 10, 2009, 08:03:12 AM
Facebook has added a couple of verbs to our collective vocabulary. There's the common "Facebook," which means to message someone or request them as a friend, despite sounding more like something you'd say to somebody before punching them (e.g. "I'll Facebook you!"). And then there's to "poke" -- a gentle way of prodding acquaintances or initiating contact with someone you don't know, despite sounding like a form of sexual assault.

Since that latter function's inception, we've been waiting for someone to get in trouble for poking people on Facebook -- and not just because we're juvenile and enjoy the double entendre. Finally we got our wish. The Tennessean is reporting that a Hendersonville, Tennessee woman, Shannon D. Jackson, was arrested for "poking" an unidentified woman and, in doing so, violating a court order that prohibits Jackson from "telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with the petitioner."

The violation, a class A misdemeanor, could result in almost a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

We've seen plenty of arrests thanks to dumb things posted on Facebook, but this is the first time (we know of, at least) that someone has been jailed for poking. A truly historic day indeed. [From: The Tennessean]

Thank the Lord I found this forum, the only safe place to interact with real people online. I feel so ...
normal here.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on October 10, 2009, 10:52:13 AM

Thank the Lord I found this forum, the only safe place to interact with real people online. I feel so ...
normal here.
zipper.gif

Joe C

Quote from: Stinkerbell on October 10, 2009, 10:52:13 AM

normal here.
I sure Homer is asking Mayhem where the Poke button is on here. hysterical.gif
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

FreecellFanny

Hocky

Sounds like to me this Jackson person already had some sort of restraining order against her from contacting this unidentified woman and she violated it by poking said person.

Geez Louise!  rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview