Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

My brother went home today

Started by Sue,

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

Around 8 weeks ago my brother who is 46 hit a deer with his Harley.
Just prior to the accident he had passed some fellow bikers.

His bike had maybe two hundred dollars worth of damage.
He was not so lucky.

He slid close to 100 feet.... his gloves and rings were ripped from his fingers.
He broke his shoulder and bones around the foot.

His face was ruined by the road.
No longer will he see out of one eye because the optic nerve is damaged.

Other than that he looks almost normal.

But he has severe head trauma and damage.
The Doctor said that my brothers was the worst he had ever seen.

He thinks the cast on his foot is a phone and that he is a golf pro and numerous other things.
Most days he dont recognize anyone... not even his daughter.

Today my sister called me to tell me he had been released from the hospital...
not because he is better but because he has no insurance.
Now there is no option of brain rehab and he has to live with someone.

My younger brother and wife have taken him into their home now.

If anyone knows anyway that he can get rehab without having insurance, please let me know.
He lives closer to Lansing Michigan but anywhere it is free would work.

Hugs, Sue

harley89

redhotbabydoll

So sorry to hear about your brother but you may be in luck with some help for him. Contact his local public assistant programs because their is funds available to help him. Also, contact Social Security and sign him for disability and if only temporary he can receive SSI and get medicare or medicaid to pay for his treatments. Also, you can contact his state representative and find out what government agency can help with this issue. Hope this helps and sending out my prayers to you and your family.

Sue

Wow thanks so much both of you.

My sister probably thinks I am nuts... it is 7:30 am and I never call her at this time.

But I called and left a message.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks so much.

harley89

Hnag in there  You brother sounds bad but I have a friend that recovered from much worse. It takes time and patience. My friend was injured while on a Harley hit head on by a truck.  He was unable to work ever again but with patience and rehab you may be suprised at how much he will recover.  Dig in and find the help your brother needs it is out there but you are going to have to be a real hard  ass.gif. You and your brother may want to discuss the possiblity of one of you taking temporary guardian ship of your brother. He appears to be incapable of making decisions for himself.  Plus you may need to take care of his property just assuming that he has  a place of residence ,car, bank account and etc without guardianship you wont be able to take care of his business.  It is a tuff call to make  keep us posted .

Hocky

So sorry to hear about your brother Alpena!   embrace.gif

Just like red said, go straight to the social security office and sign him up for disability and medicaid.  Also, contact a few rehab places near him and ask to speak to a social worker who has access to many assistance programs that we (general public) don't know about.  

There is help out there, it is just a shame that you have to jump through so many hoops to get it.

Check your PM box, I am sending you some helpful links that you can hopefully use.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview