PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 09:38:32 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Magee Passes Bobby Knight

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Posted on Tue, Feb. 23, 2010

Magee breaks coaching record
By Keith Pompey

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Herb Magee has long been one of the NCAA's most respected men's basketball coaches. Now, he is the winningest, too.

Magee earned career win No. 903 tonight when his Philadelphia University team defeated Goldey-Beacom College, 76-65, in a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference game. The victory at the Gallagher Athletic Center enabled the 68-year-old to break the record he shared with Bob Knight.

The victory improved the Rams to 23-6 and 15-1 in the CACC. It also extended their winning streak to 14 games. Philadelphia avenged a 68-55 setback to Goldey-Beacom (17-7, 11-4) on Dec. 8, the Rams' lone conference loss.

A standing-room crowd of 1,300, including Villanova coach Jay Wright and Temple coach Fran Dunphy, was on hand to witness Magee's coaching milestone.

Already the all-time winningest Division II coach, Magee is 903-352 in 43 seasons as the head coach at Philadelphia. Knight compiled a 902-371 record during 42 seasons at Division I programs Army, Indiana, and Texas Tech.

Retiring Northern State coach Don Meyer (922 wins) has more victories than Magee. However, some of his wins came on the NAIA level.

Magee is the only men's coach to have won more NCAA games than Knight and former North Carolina coach Dean Smith (879).

"If someone mentions my name along with those guys, that makes me proud that I won more games than those guys," Magee said.

"I always tell people, though, that Dean Smith did it in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Bobby Knight did it in the Big Ten and the Big Twelve."

Magee wasn't trying to diminish the Division II level, which plays what he called tough and great basketball.

"But I know how hard it is win games," he said. "And I always had a lot of respect for both of those guys, because I think they are two best coaches that ever lived."

Having won at least 20 games in season 30 times, Magee is also a great coach. He has had only three losing seasons, with the last one coming in 1996-97.

In addition to leading the Rams to the 1969-70 Division II title, his teams have made 24 NCAA tourney appearances.

"I think the level of consistency is unbelievable," said Tom Shirley, Philadelphia University's athletic director and head women's basketball coach. "A lot of programs, they win 20. Then they win 12. Then they win 18. Then they win nine. But his average I think is about 21 and some change. I think that speaks for itself."

Although Magee has nothing else to prove, he's in no hurry to retire. That doesn't bode well for anyone hoping to pass him on the wins list in the near future.

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski is second among active NCAA coaches with 856 wins.

Magee plans to coach "as long as I'm healthy," he said, "and I'm a healthy man."

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview