Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Removing the DRM From eBooks

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Ok, I don't know if anyone here will have an answer for this or not, but I'm very frustrated with the different eBook sellers who are making their books proprietary to their eBook readers. I have a Sony eReader and I buy all my books. I don't steal, I'm not trying to get anything for free, but it's getting ridiculous. If I buy a book from B&N, I can't use it on Sony. Same with Amazon... can't be read on Sony. If I'm paying for a book, legitimately, then I think I should be able to read it however/where ever I want to.

Anyway, I've been hearing about software that will remove the DRM (Digital Rights Management) coding in the files, but some of them seem so shady. Calibre is a great product, but it won't convert files with DRM and won't remove DRM either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As I said, I'm paying for the books, not trying to steal them, but by making the files proprietary, they are making so I can't shop around for the best prices.

edfshr

I suggest that your write you Congressman, Senators, the Federal Trade Commission and compain about this restraint of trade. It might take a few years bu they might do something, or scare the big companies into doing something voluntarily.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: edfshr on June 16, 2010, 04:52:50 PM
I suggest that your write you Congressman, Senators, the Federal Trade Commission and compain about this restraint of trade. It might take a few years bu they might do something, or scare the big companies into doing something voluntarily.

All that's already happening, but I want to read NOW, darnit! LOL

Actually, I just read an article talking about all the independent booksellers who are fighting against this practice.

C~M

I purchased a program called 'Protected Music Converter' to remove the DRM from iTunes music.  I don't know if it will remove it from eBooks or not, but it works great for music.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Crazy~Man on June 16, 2010, 05:30:23 PM
I purchased a program called 'Protected Music Converter' to remove the DRM from iTunes music.  I don't know if it will remove it from eBooks or not, but it works great for music.

Thank you!  If you wouldn't mind, can you see if there's an option for converting .pdb (not .pdf) files into epub files on the version your purchased?

C~M

FreecellFanny

Can one of you contact me about this please?

I was thinking of getting hubby a reader for his birthday but I never knew about these proprietary rights... no-no.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: FreecellFanny on June 19, 2010, 01:55:35 PM
Can one of you contact me about this please?

I was thinking of getting hubby a reader for his birthday but I never knew about these proprietary rights... no-no.gif

I sent you a list of ebook stores I use for multi formats and what information I know as well.

Mistyeyed

this all sounds too confusing,i think i shall continue to read my books the "old fashined' way...lol

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview