This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Poppit! Bingo : Pop 150 Prize Balloons this week! [Download Cheat]
Word Search Daily HD : Find 300 words this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Help with Toshiba laptop please

Started by twinkle6590,

Previous topic - Next topic

twinkle6590

crying10.gif  I really need some help. I have a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 laptop.  I didn't have any protection on it so I downloaded Norton 2010 free firewall for some protection. It gave me 90 days of free protection and then finally expired yesterday. When I found out it was expired, I deleted it since I didn't have the money to purchase it. Before downloading this program and while it was on my laptop, my windows live messenger worked great. After deleting it yesterday morning, I am no longer able to sign into my windows messenger program now.  Upon trying to log in I get this error:  Qwest/Windows Live Messenger has made several attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking Qwest/Windows Live Messenger from connecting to the service.  Please review your firewall settings.
I have also hit the troubleshoot button and as it ran through that, everything got a green check mark but the key ports, where a yellow triangle showed up and a message below said failed to connect to the server. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings.  it gave me the option to hit repair so i did this as well. Upon the repair finishing, I again get the error that  my firewall may be blocking the messenger.
My laptop has windows microsoft windows XP version 2002. I have also deleted and re downloaded windows live messenger and still no success. Is there anyone out there that can help me or lead me as to where to go to fix this. my messenger is my lifeline to my family and my clients that i do work for. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help.

pete379

I don't know if this will help, but I found this surfin the web:if msn doesnt work has 2 ways

1- your date and time is not set as your original country

2- turn off your firewall and login on msn

after u loged in turn on your firewall     GOOD LUCK

Homer

Like pete said turn off the firewall then login after logging in turn firewall back on

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

pete379

Or This: 1 - Start Internet Explorer.
2 - On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3 - Click the Advanced tab.
4 - Under Security, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation check box.
5 - Click OK.
6 - Exit Internet Explorer.          Guess I am bored...LOL...Good Luck!! tumbsup.gif

twinkle6590

thanks for the help...but.... the box for server certificate revocation was already unchecked. ... I don't have any other firewall on my laptop that I am aware of. I deleted nortons this morning. I checked my control panel and its not in the list of programs either. Is there another firewall somewhere that my laptop has that I am not aware of??

Homer

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 22, 2010, 03:51:08 PM
thanks for the help...but.... the box for server certificate revocation was already unchecked. ... I don't have any other firewall on my laptop that I am aware of. I deleted nortons this morning. I checked my control panel and its not in the list of programs either. Is there another firewall somewhere that my laptop has that I am not aware of??

Control Panel>Windows Firewall> Turn off under General Tab

twinkle6590

Quote from: Homer on July 22, 2010, 04:12:35 PM
Control Panel>Windows Firewall> Turn off under General Tab

Homer i apologize but I am really trying hard to do as you and Pete have stated but when I go to control panel, I don't see a "windows firewall" tab anywhere. I have windows XP if that helps. Again I do apologize for the confusion. My comprehension level isn't like it use to be due to a severe head injury so I struggle at times finding things. thanks for understanding.

Homer

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 22, 2010, 04:37:00 PM
Homer i apologize but I am really trying hard to do as you and Pete have stated but when I go to control panel, I don't see a "windows firewall" tab anywhere. I have windows XP if that helps. Again I do apologize for the confusion. My comprehension level isn't like it use to be due to a severe head injury so I struggle at times finding things. thanks for understanding.

when you go into control panel windows firewall should be one of the last items

it is not a tab it is a category in the control panel

twinkle6590

Quote from: Homer on July 22, 2010, 04:50:57 PM
when you go into control panel windows firewall should be one of the last items

it is not a tab it is a category in the control panel
net
this is whats under my control panel tab. is one of these my firewall tab:  appearance and themes, network and internet connections, add or remove programs, sounds speech and audio devices, performance and maintenance, printers and other hardware, user accounts, date, time, language and regional options, accessibility options, and security center

Homer

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 22, 2010, 05:14:34 PM
net
this is whats under my control panel tab. is one of these my firewall tab:  appearance and themes, network and internet connections, add or remove programs, sounds speech and audio devices, performance and maintenance, printers and other hardware, user accounts, date, time, language and regional options, accessibility options, and security center

you are using a different view try looking in security center

twinkle6590

Quote from: Homer on July 22, 2010, 05:16:52 PM
you are using a different view try looking in security center
ok i changed the view and turned it off and it still wont connect. I get the same error as before. would nortons have anything to do with this ??

Homer

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 22, 2010, 05:29:54 PM
ok i changed the view and turned it off and it still wont connect. I get the same error as before. would nortons have anything to do with this ??

I suppose there still could be traces of it on your pc. Did you remove it using add/remove programs from the control panel?

C~M

you need to go to Norton site and get their remover tool as Norton can't be completely uninstalled otherwise.

Here is a link to go to to download it or you can search for Norton Remover Tool.

http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

twinkle6590

Homer:  yes I removed it from the add/remove control panel. I didnt realize some things can still stay on your pc.

Crazy-Man:  thanks for the tool. I will go to the site and retrieve it and use it to see if that works.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!  THANKS FOR THE HELP. I will let you know if it works.

Homer

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 23, 2010, 09:38:29 AM
Homer:  yes I removed it from the add/remove control panel. I didnt realize some things can still stay on your pc.

Crazy-Man:  thanks for the tool. I will go to the site and retrieve it and use it to see if that works.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!  THANKS FOR THE HELP. I will let you know if it works.

sometimes it leaves traces in your system registry which can goof up your pc that is why I always recommend people use the Advanced System Care program regularly

twinkle6590

i downloaded that advanced system care program and i scan daily. i did get my issue fixed though. Pete was right..... it was the date on my laptop. somehow it got changed to August and I didn't noticed that the first time I looked. I wasn't able to access my gmail either and that was one of the first things the help page told me to check.... soooooo  thanks again Homer for all your help and patience as well !!!
Thanks Pete for your help as well. I guess I should have looked at that date alot closer.
Thanks Crazy_Man for the Nortons's tool and your help as well because I did have some more of that Nortons garbage on my laptop that the add/remove probram didn't take off. 
Thanks to all for your patience in helping me especially. I do try to fix things myself before asking, but sometimes my thought process just isn't there so its nice to know I can come here and receive help from all of you.  tumbsup.gif tumbsup.gif tumbsup.gif tumbsup.gif

Homer

C~M

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview