This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Snowbird Solitaire : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Clear 500 crystal layers this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

IE9

Started by harley89,

Previous topic - Next topic

harley89

Dont worry Squid.  Win 7 is the same or better when it comes to stabilty and ease of use.  XP I believe set microsoft on the road to building WIn 7.  Vista would have been a better OS if they hadnt made it so graphic heavy.  WHne I got a new pc with win 7 I tried it for a few months and then ordered a new laptop with WIn 7 networing with win 7 is so easy but you cant network anything except computers running Win 7 it wont work with different OS and since I perfer my laptop for most things I can now access files from the pc on the laptop

smokyrain

You can network Win 7 with XP

QuoteXP Computers in the Windows 7 Network Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 and Vista have the ability to detect the devices on a network and build a network map based on what it finds. Windows 7 and Vista do this using a protocol called LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery). The LLTD Responder is built in to both Windows 7 and Vista. It's also being included in Access Points, Wireless Routers and some NAS devices that display the "Windows 7" Logo.

Among other things LLTD does is detect laptops and desktops that are connected via wireless and builds the network map accordingly. However, any wireless connections will show up only if there's something connected.

However, XP doesn't support the LLTD Responder natively and thus, when the network map is displayed, any PC's running XP (any flavor) will show up on the bottom of the page in their own area, unable to be placed on the map.

Microsoft has a hotfix that will add LLTD Responder support to XP. It does require a Genuine copy of XP and may also require providing your email address to get access to the hotfix. The hotfix only works with SP3 so make sure your system has it installed.

IMPORTANT: This hotfix needs to be installed on every PC running XP on the network.

Just google -  XP Computers in the Windows 7 Network Map

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview