Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

e-readers- Kindle or Nook

Started by gator8_24,

Previous topic - Next topic

gator8_24

Ok, I'm looking for an e-reader.  I've read up on both the Kindle and Nook. I like the Nook due to the navigation on the bottom , the Kindle has a key board but such teeny tiny buttons. The battery in the Kindle can only be changed by Amazon but the Nook sells the extra battery can change yourself(if needed). Both can change the size of print.

This for the basic models as I don't need the bells and whistles.

Thanks for the help

gran2x2

I have a Nook and love it..It has a battery you can replace yourself..kindle has to be done through amazon..Nook also has the pdf file feature..also you can get books from your local library etc for free with a nook..Also nook has an expandable memory and the share a book with a friend feature that I love..

Homer

I would love to get one of these because I have trouble reading some of the smaller prints in books. Maybe when the prices come down I might get one.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

gator8_24

Quote from: Homer on November 11, 2010, 04:53:14 PM
I would love to get one of these because I have trouble reading some of the smaller prints in books. Maybe when the prices come down I might get one.

Today online the Kindle was $139 the Nook was $149.  These are the basic models no bells and whistles.  Homer, is it time for the large print books? giggle2.gif blowkisses.gif

Homer

Quote from: gator8_24 on November 11, 2010, 04:56:14 PM
Today online the Kindle was $139 the Nook was $149.  These are the basic models no bells and whistles.  Homer, is it time for the large print books? giggle2.gif blowkisses.gif

Been time. I have always had poor vision. I'm waiting another year or so and hoping to get one in the $50 range. I just don't read enough books to justify $200

gator8_24

Quote from: Homer on November 11, 2010, 05:09:48 PM
Been time. I have always had poor vision. I'm waiting another year or so and hoping to get one in the $50 range. I just don't read enough books to justify $200

I wear trifocals and find it hard to get anything to read at a comfortable angle for me. so I haven't been doing much reading except on the  comp. monitor.

gran2x2

I am a avid reader..always have a book with me..My hubby got the nook for me for an anny gift because age has messed with my vision too..It is so great not to strain to read small print..The price will come down with time I am sure..Like all new gimmicks..

CindyLouWho

I want 1 of these but can't afford 1 right now but sounds like the nook would be my choice.  I'll have to check into them more before I get 1.    I've always been a big reader & even more so now. 

Stinkerbell

I wasn't sure if I'd like an ereader or not, but I went with the Sony and I love it.  Some of the books have such tiny print that they're hard to read, but the ereader lets you adjust to the size you need.

Whatever you decide on, Gator, I think you'll love it.

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 14, 2010, 10:51:54 AM
I wasn't sure if I'd like an ereader or not, but I went with the Sony and I love it.  Some of the books have such tiny print that they're hard to read, but the ereader lets you adjust to the size you need.

That's why I would like one. I'm blind as a

gator8_24

Quote from: Homer on November 14, 2010, 11:08:13 AM
That's why I would like one. I'm blind as a

Is that why when things go wrong here you likle to blame it on Mayhem? You just hit the wrong key? giggle2.gif

gator8_24

Quote from: gran2x2 on November 11, 2010, 04:15:49 PM
I have a Nook and love it..It has a battery you can replace yourself..kindle has to be done through amazon..Nook also has the pdf file feature..also you can get books from your local library etc for free with a nook..Also nook has an expandable memory and the share a book with a friend feature that I love..

I was just watching HSN and were selling a Nextbook. One thing they said was that they were the only ones that has an  expandable memory slot.  I just  checked Nook and it says it can also do the same,   But it was kinda missing from Nook description have to look further in the description. The Nextbook is thruBorders.

Stinkerbell

My Sony also has a slot for a memory card for more books.

AlsoMumsy

vacation8.gif

I LOVE my Kindle.  I take it with me everywhere.  Lots of free books available, both new and classics.  I have several web sites bookmarked that let you know the latest free books and some to purchase for five dollars and under.  I must think I'm gonna live to be a thousand years old, cause it is gonna take me that long to read all of those free and cheap reads!!!  Also, Being a Pogo lover I have downloaded a total of 8 games.  Some free, some I purchased.  My new fave is a word game called Panda Poet.  Lots of fun!!!  My Kindle was my retirement gift to myself and it is one of the best gifts I have ever received!!!  (Gotta go now.... I think I hear Jane Austen calling me... or is it Mr. Darcy???!!!)

AlsoMumsy

gran2x2

I think they all have their selling points..For me like I said I like the Nook share a book thing..and the freebies you get from the library..And the self changing battery..It costs about 60 bux to have amazon do the kindle..Best idea is to look at consumer reviews and comparisons and get the one that best suits your needs..GL..And check the sales coming for Christmas..You can find big savings there..

gator8_24

I was reading busines news about black friday sales and it said the e-readers are about as low as  will get , but you never know.  There were some on ebay but don't trust that method.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: gator8_24 on November 15, 2010, 10:22:52 AM
I was reading busines news about black friday sales and it said the e-readers are about as low as  will get , but you never know.  There were some on ebay but don't trust that method.

I don't blame you for that. With ebay, unless it's a verified, trusted seller, you don't know what you might get.

I think that really, it's just a matter of preference. Many companies have free books. The Sony reader store does, just like Amazon and B&N. I buy most of my ebooks from either fictionwise.com or booksonboard.com. They seem to have the best prices.

And for those of you who already have an ereader, fictionwise has all books on sale today for 50% off. Use code nov122010. All books except those published by Samhain.

Stinkerbell

fictionwise.com has another 50% off sale through November 28th. Use coupon code blackfriday2010.

This is good for all books except those published by Samhain.

gator8_24

I think maybe my son got me the Nook.  He got a pakg yesterday I ck'd the return and it was B&N lol  I didn't say anything. Now have to wait and see if I was correct.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview