PlayBuddy
October 02, 2024, 08:30:05 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

IS it safe for Computer to be on 24/7???

Started by 2TOOME,

Previous topic - Next topic

2TOOME

I was wondering that.  I leave mine on all the time.  I hardly ever cut it off unless we are having a storm.  Am I doing any harm by leaving it on 24/7?

ILoveBananas

I leave my computer on all the time.

I leave the monitor off when i sleep or go someplace and auto still works.

IF you have your screensaver OFF and Turn off monitor on NEVER.

:)

ZaLandCruiser

Nothing rong with leaving it on 24/7 , make the screesaver go off .

chetta

ya i leave mine on all the time as well, my bud who has a bachelors in computer programing said "there is no disavantage in running 24/7 other than power consumption"
even when the power goes off here, i have bat backup

ILoveBananas

eminem

the only downside to leaving the computer on all the time (besides the power consumption thing) is you run the risk of other people hacking your computer and giving it a virus or stealing important info.  be careful! ;)

LuLu

Especially port scanning.  My firewall tells me everytime it's doing it.  Make sure you have a firewall!

Super Duckie

wordlife

no but you can but it well not maby but well get hack  :-X :-X :-X

InnocentLilCatholicGirl

I leave mine on 24/7 and its fine and I never get hacked I dint think lol

FlippantOne

Quote from: wordlife on July 15, 2004, 10:50:42 PM

OK, first of all, this is not trying to flame, but wordlife, have hooked on phonics send you your money back dude. ::) ???  I leave mine all the time as well.
Quote from: eminem on July 15, 2004, 08:57:01 AM
the only downside to leaving the computer on all the time (besides the power consumption thing) is you run the risk of other people hacking your computer and giving it a virus or stealing important info.  be careful! ;)
If you are on DSL or broadband of some kind it doesn't matter if your computer is on or off because you are always connected to the internet so that risk is always there, but the only risk really of leaving your computer on all the time is that if the fan goes kaput in your computer then you might be in a little bit of trouble, but thats about it.

ILoveBananas

Flippant >> stop worrying about peoples mistakes. Let wordlife spell the way he wants. We can understand what hes saying anyways.

Token Monster (iaMnafetS)

Quote from: FlippantOne on July 15, 2004, 11:18:46 PM
Quote from: wordlife on July 15, 2004, 10:50:42 PM

OK, first of all, this is not trying to flame, but wordlife, have hooked on phonics send you your money back dude. ::) ???  I leave mine all the time as well.
Quote from: eminem on July 15, 2004, 08:57:01 AM
If you are on DSL or broadband of some kind it doesn't matter if your computer is on or off because you are always connected to the internet so that risk is always there, but the only risk really of leaving your computer on all the time is that if the fan goes kaput in your computer then you might be in a little bit of trouble, but thats about it.

If your computer is off, you cannot be "hacked" no matter how long your cable modem is on.  The risk is not there.  Port scanning does no harm, even if you don't have a firewall.  What you need to be worried about is running obselete or other programs with holes in them that would allow a hacker to USE those open ports to get into your computer.  If you aren't running servers, and keep AIM, IE, Outlook (usually the most attacked), and Windows updated you should be FINE.  Hacking isn't magic, most of the time it's just exploiting another programmer's laziness and mistakes but people turn it into this voodoo where as soon as someone knows your IP they can take your credit card number and eat your computer.  Simply not the case. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview