PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:36:41 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Laptop question

Started by gran2x2,

Previous topic - Next topic

gran2x2

Do cooling pads actually do anything useful?? I was told I needed one to help extend the life of my laptop.... undecided.gif

NoWitch1

Ours gets SO hot that I always wanted one of those coolers-it wouldn't hurt to read the reviews at amazon.com and see what people think (and compare prices)

harley89

Laptop vents are on the bottom. As long as you keep them clear by whatever method you will not have a problem. I use a cooling tray because I found one that is adjustable and I can raise or lower the laptop as needed.  If you are going to be running the laptop for a long period (Hint running auto for hours) A cooling tray would be your best choice.  They are not expensive. I have used the one I have for years.  I found it a Walmart for less than 20 bucks.  Tiger Direct is a good place to check them out. And they have good prices

gran2x2

TY for info...guess I will shop around and find one... tumbsup.gif

Joe C

I have two laptops that run Pogo 24/7 and both have cooling fans. I would not play without them, even on the really powerful gaming computer. The fact is that most laptops have insufficient cooling and need a boost. The cooling fan is powered by a USB cord connected to the computer and moves hot air from the bottom of the computer, so that the computer's fans are pulling cooler air into the computer.

As for the hot-air in here, Homer can help himself.
tumbsup.gif

I got my at Target and the brand is Targus. I always buy the biggest on I can find and swap them out if they start making really loud noise.
beer11.gif
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

gran2x2

I just found one at wally with great reviews and the actual fans(2) can be put where you want them most...same one at tiger is 8 bux more...it is a cooler master brand...both sites give 5 star reviews ....Guess I will order it... tumbsup.gif...TY all for help...I run my autos a lot for hours at a time and I am afraid to burn it up...

harley89

Quote from: gran2x2 on May 03, 2012, 07:18:48 AM
I just found one at wally with great reviews and the actual fans(2) can be put where you want them most...same one at tiger is 8 bux more...it is a cooler master brand...both sites give 5 star reviews ....Guess I will order it... tumbsup.gif...TY all for help...I run my autos a lot for hours at a time and I am afraid to burn it up...

Now if I can only convince my 16 year old granddaughter not to leave hers on the bed while it is on

gran2x2

Harley...during my search i watched a live video of a guy testing laptop temps with and without the cooler pad...without it ran at like 125...with it was 100.2  ..and on a bed(soft surface) it was like 152....I now fully believe I need one...lol

Squid

I have a laptop that works fine but the fan stopped working.  Needless to say, within five minutes, the laptop overheats.  I had the fan fixed and it worked briefly but then THAT fan stopped working well.  I am not paying to have another fan fixed on a 6-7 year old laptop.  I'd like to continue to use it, if possible, even after I buy a replacement.  Would a cooling tray work to keep the temp down if the fan is not working consistently?  I'd spring for 20 bucks but will not put more substantial money into this machine.  Thoughts?

gran2x2

What is great about the cooler master...the 2 fans can be placed wherever you want...Check out this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62yKfkbIQM&feature=related

Squid

Quote from: gran2x2 on May 07, 2012, 05:05:07 AM
What is great about the cooler master...the 2 fans can be placed wherever you want...Check out this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62yKfkbIQM&feature=related
Yes, but will external fans cool the system well enough when the internal fan has stopped?

gran2x2

dunno..  blink.gif  but if it doesn't work then you can always use the cooler pad on another laptop...

C~M

I got the Cooler Master with 3 fans you can place anywhere for my notebook. It seems to keep the temp cooler then the other 2 or 3 I have purchased. I don't think my notebook has an internal fan tho, not sure.

Also Squid, I do believe the external cooling pads like the one I just got from Walmart.com would keep yours cool enough. If not you could always take it back to the nearest Walmart for a refund I believe, even if you ordered it online.  Plus, if you order it online, you have the option of having it sent to your nearest Walmart for free so you don't have to pay s&h. My s&h was only a little over $2 tho, prob spend that much in gas to get there and back, lol

NoWitch1

Our battery got so hot we would take it out and just use the power cord-that helped alot getting that hot battery out of there-never did buy a new battery, after it set out of the computer for about a month it started holding a charge again LOL

gran2x2

WELL I got my cooler master today and WOW...what a difference''..I no longer feel any heat from the pc vent..it's cool air now and it is so quiet I had to check to be sure it was working.Plus the actual tray is elevated and makes typing etc so much easier.
tumbsup.gif hi11.gif Thanks to all for the input and advice... cheesy.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview