PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 10:50:46 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Breakthrough Technology From MIT

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

It took 126 years and the work of graduate students from MIT, but we have finally figured out how to get ketchup to pour out of a bottle.

(CBS News) A new slippery coating developed by an MIT student may soon take the frustration out of finishing a bottle of ketchup.

PhD candidate Dave Smith and a team of mechanical engineers and nano-technologists at the Varanasi Research Group have been working for the last two months developing LiquiGlide, the coating made of nontoxic materials that can be used in food packaging. But it looks like condiment bottles might be the first application of the material.

Smith, quoted in Co.Exist on Fast Company, said the coating could reduce food waste in a big way. He said, "It's funny: Everyone is always like, 'Why bottles? What's the big deal?' But then you tell them the market for bottles - just the sauces alone is a $17 billion market. And if all those bottles had our coating, we estimate that we could save about one million tons of food from being thrown out every year."

tumbsup.gif
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

harley89

That looked like glass bottles. I have not seen Ketchup in glass bottles  in forever.

Mayhem

I guess lots of restaurants still use them. I've updated my post with the full news article.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

gator8_24

Thought it was clever, of course my luck the entire bottle would be on spill on my food!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview