PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 11:47:30 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

What's the best computer to get for mostly Pogo and

Started by mycatownsme,

Previous topic - Next topic

mycatownsme

emailing and skype. I would also like a backlit keyboard.

I now have Vista and now that I've gotten things running pretty good, I see I need to get Windows 8.

Does anyone know if I could get Windows 8 installed on this computer and pros and cons there?

Thanks for any and all help you may want to give.  Lin  tumbsup.gif

mycatownsme

After posting this, I see another line of posts mostly about Dell I will keep watch to see what there may be yet out there.  Lin  popcorn2.gif

snap20

Are you in the US?  Also, are you looking for a laptop (since you mentioned backlit keyboard) or a desktop/tower? I know nothing about backlit keyboards, so really can't help you there. Don't even know which laptops have them. I would think you could buy an aftermarket one if you got a tower though.

Personally, unless you are getting a touch screen, I wouldn't get Win8, and would stick with Win7. Win8 is really only best for tablets and touchscreen computers, which is what it was developed for.

mycatownsme

Hi snap20,  I'm in US and looking for a laptop. I have a Gateway with Vista now but each time I go into Pogo I get a message about not going to be supporting this version of Windows. I don't know when it will go into effect to where I won't be able to play at Pogo but I hope it isn't soon.
Is it wise to purchase Windows 8, for example, and then try to find someone who knows what they're doing and having it installed on this current computer?
I worry about lots of trouble down the line in doing this.
I really don't want to buy a new computer due to finances and this one really has nothing wrong with it. (Except for today with having a hard time getting into Pogo and loading any programs.) I don't seem to have any problems at other sites. So maybe this is the start of the problem at Pogo.
I love the backlit keyboard. It's really handy.
I'm just looking to see if maybe there is a cheaper computer without a lot of stuff on it that will run my cheats and play at Pogo. Especially since I do have this computer for the rest of the stuff.

Lin

roadwarrior

FYI-at least here in the states if you go to staples with your computer and they can upgrade it to windows 8 OR you buy a computer/laptop with windows 8 on it, they will give you a 30 minute one on one session to help you learn it.  It's got a massive learning curve from what I understand
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

harley89

Computers much like cars all have those that hate one brand or another.  I have a Alienware from Dell. Love it. But it is pricey. Now I will say this I as of Sunday had this computer for 5 days. I call tech service on Sunday and they did a remote and discovered I had a hard drive failure.  Alienware is handled by different CSR than all other Dell products.  Today Tuesday 11/20 2 days after my call a tech is coming to my house to replace the hardrive and restore it to factory condition.  I could not expect more.  This one is Nebula Red with Plasma Purple backlight on the keyboard.    For your uses find a great deal on one off the shelf.   Good Luck and my a great deal find you

snap20

It doesn't make sense that pogo would be telling you it won't support Vista. I use XP, which is older than Vista, and I've never seen that message. I suspect there is something else going on. Can you post the word for word exact message that is displayed? Is it a pop-up window? Does it say pogo anywhere in the pop-up? Do you see it on any other sites?

If you only wanted to get Windows 8, I would suggest finding someone to install it for you, as you said. I agree with roady, check out Staples. There might be a local company that can help you out as well you'd just have to search/ask around.

If you would only be wanting Win8 or a new computer just to play pogo, I wouldn't get a new laptop. Win8 is relatively cheap compared to previous Windows operating systems, especially for an upgrade from Vista. You do have to make sure you have enough RAM to run Win8 though, you need a minimum of 1GB of RAM according to their specs.

Mayhem

You can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $40.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

~buttercup~

i think the message on pogo is for internet explorer 8 not windows 8. the pogo message is just to say that their not going to be supporing ie7 anymore. you don't have to get a new computer if your old one still works. i get the pogo message to and i already have ie8. i think it's just a glitch.

snap20

Quote from: ~buttercup~ on November 20, 2012, 03:55:56 PM
i think the message on pogo is for internet explorer 8 not windows 8. the pogo message is just to say that their not going to be supporing ie7 anymore. you don't have to get a new computer if your old one still works. i get the pogo message to and i already have ie8. i think it's just a glitch.

That would make sense. I'd recommend anyone using IE to try out Chrome or Firefox though...much better browsers. But that's another thread/conversation. :)

mycatownsme

Can you tell me by the information below if I have enough RAM?
I would like to keep this computer and if I don't have to change then I will leave it.
But it may be wise for $40 to upgrade now. Sounds tempting.
Would someone like me be able to download that upgrade or do I need someone who knows what they're doing?

Operating System   System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 4/10/2009 11:25:48 PM   Gateway MD7335U Rev 1
Enclosure Type: Portable
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 99.10 03/10/2009
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
145.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
54.28 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7583S [Optical drive]

WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WXC309706404, rev 11.01A11, SMART Status: Healthy

snap20

I don't see the RAM listed there. I did a quick search for your model and couldn't find a spec sheet listing the RAM it initially comes with either. Best thing to do:

Right click on 'My Computer' > go to 'Properties' > make sure you are on the 'General' tab and it should say at the bottom of there under 'Computer' what your processor is and how much RAM you have.

As for installing/downloading Win8 yourself, I can't say, I've never installed it on a system. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

mycatownsme

Hi Snap,
You give clear and great directions.
I have 4.00 GB RAM   So that looks good but I don't know how much I'm using to have left.
Gateway model MD7335U
Rating 3.5 windows experience index
Processor: Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU  T4200 @2.00 GHz
64 Bit Operating System

I think it looks like I could get the Windows 8 Pro listed below.
I should give Staples a call but maybe I should wait until next week.
The stores are going to be packed now.  It would be good to know if this computer could handle that version of Windows.
Do our cheats work on it?

Sure do appreciate the informtion and help.

Thanks, Lin  dancing16.gif

mycatownsme

UPDATE INFORMATION :

I found the following information on the new Windows 8 etc.

Credit Wall Street Journal Article by Walter S. Mossberg

Just when you thought it was safe to shop for a new laptop, a fresh problem stands in the way of laptop buyers: confusion. The shelves are now filled with shiny new PCs and Macs running revamped operating systems, but it's suddenly more complicated to choose a new laptop, especially for Windows shoppers.

So, for this year's fall laptop buyer's guide, I'll focus on sorting out some of the muddle. As always, this guide is for consumers doing the most common tasks. It isn't meant for corporate buyers or for hard-core gamers or serious media producers.

Windows, Mac Diverge Even More

There always have been some core differences among the many Windows laptops and Apple's (AAPL) MacBook Air and MacBook Pro laptops. Computer makers using Windows tended to offer much greater variety and lower prices, while Mac models had better software, were much less prone to viruses and were generally more reliable and elegant.

Now, with the release of the new Windows 8 operating system, there is an even more fundamental difference. MacBooks remain traditional laptops, controlled by touch pads and keyboards. Apple has kept the Mac separate from its touch-screen computer, the market-dominating iPad tablet.

But Windows 8 laptops combine the two approaches, with two different user environments in the same computer. One is the traditional Windows desktop mode, best used with a touch pad or mouse and a keyboard. The other is the Start Screen mode, which operates like a tablet, has tablet-like apps and is best used with a touch screen.

So, if you're looking for a familiar laptop, focus on a Mac. If you like the idea of both approaches in one device, and can handle switching back and forth, pick a Windows 8 laptop.

Which Windows 8?

Microsoft's Surface RT uses a variant of Windows 8 called Windows RT, which doesn't run most traditional desktop ...If you opt for Windows, it gets more confusing. Windows 8 comes in two versions, plain Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. Laptops with the latter have a handful of extra features that make it easier to connect with many corporate networks from home. So, if you need that ability, look for a laptop with the Pro version.

But there is an even trickier division. Some new Windows portables, like Microsoft's (MSFT) first computer, the Surface, use a variant of Windows 8 called Windows RT. Regular Windows 8 lets you run all the traditional desktop programs in Windows 7, like Microsoft Office 2010, Chrome, Quicken or iTunes. However, RT doesn't run these programs. Windows RT machines mostly run the new tablet-type apps that work in the Start Screen. They come with a special version of Microsoft Office, but it omits Outlook. So, if you want to use old Windows programs, don't buy an RT machine.

Touch Screen or Not

Windows 8 is a "touch first" operating system. It can be operated with a mouse or touch pad, but its newest, coolest component, the Start Screen, and the tablet-like apps sold for that environment via Microsoft's online store, are best used with touch. And there are some traditional laptops, like Acer's slender Aspire S7, with touch screens to complement their touch pads and keyboards.

However, many if not most Windows 8 laptops available right now lack touch screens. On a visit to a Best Buy (BBY) store this week, I found the retailer promoting only three touch-screen ultrabooks, slim, light, well-equipped Windows laptops. There were a few larger well-equipped touch-screen models and one low-end model. All the others used standard screens.

Because I believe Windows 8's tablet-style mode works best with a touch screen, I don't advise buying a Windows 8 laptop without one.

Tablet or Convertible

Unlike Apple, Microsoft has no separate tablet operating system. Windows 8 was designed to run both tablets and standard computers. In my tests, I have found it runs well, maybe even best, on tablets, which can have add-on keyboards to handle traditional desktop programs. But there are a number of laptops, called convertibles, whose screens can flip, or slide, or twist, so they cover the keyboard and look like tablets.

Don't rely on these convertibles for extended use as tablets. The ones I've seen are too heavy and bulky for more than occasional use in tablet mode. If you use a tablet heavily, stick with an iPad, an Android tablet, or a Windows 8 or Windows RT machine that's actually a tablet.

Storage

Windows 8 and other system files appear to take up a lot more of your storage space than Windows 7. On the Lenovo Yoga laptop I reviewed last week, only 70 gigabytes of the 128 gigabytes of storage are available to the user. Get at least a 500 gigabyte hard disk or a 256 gigabyte solid-state drive.

Mac Confusion

Despite its new Mountain Lion operating system, the Mac hasn't changed nearly as much as Windows has. There's one version of the OS, for home and corporate use, and no stripped-down equivalent of Windows RT. While Mountain Lion borrows some features from the iPad, it doesn't attempt to mimic a tablet.

However, Apple has redesigned its top MacBook Pro models, and introduced confusion. Both the 13-inch and 15-inch Pros now come in two versions: regular display and higher-resolution—and higher-price—Retina display. Be sure you need the extra pixels before opting for the latter.

Price

The least costly Mac laptop, the 11-inch MacBook Air, is still $999. And you can still buy some poorly equipped non-touch-screen Windows 8 laptops for about $300. In general, expect to spend between $600 and $1,000 for a well-equipped, thin and light touch-screen Windows 8 laptop.

Bottom Line

It's an exciting time to buy a new laptop, especially for Windows lovers. But be careful to wade through the confusing options so you get what you need, nothing more or less.

snap20

4gb of RAM is enough. You shouldn't have to worry about how much you are using unless you are using numerous programs that use heavy RAM, like Photoshop or CAD. The rest of your specs look good enough to handle 8.

But just to be sure, did you check what version of Internet Explorer you are using, if you are using IE? If not at least 8, you should update that. You might not even need a new OS. If you are using IE but don't know what number, open a browser window (which you already have open, since you are reading this :P ) go up to the menus at the top and click on "Help" then choose "About Internet Explorer".

If you are still set on getting Win8, definitely talk to someone familiar with it first. I am not familiar with it, and have never used it. Also have no idea if any cheats work with it.

mycatownsme

I sure appreciate the help. I have IE version 8 or IE 8...not sure how I'm supposed to write that out.  embarrassed.gif

I do't run any of those programs at all. I usually email and Pogo with the cheats and here and some photo stuff and burn cd's with music. I do have Skype but have only used it twice. I opened a Facebook account but got so afraid of what I was reading about it, I closed it out. I never really knew how to use it and I talk to everyone by phone.

I  hope if someone knows about the cheats working with the new Windows ,  I hope they post it to let us know.

Thanks again for your time to help.   Lin  tumbsup.gif

harley89

If you have heavy use the more ram the better. My new system has 16GB I have a older laptop running Vista that has 8GB with no problems.  I am really cautious when it comes to getting a new OS from Mircrosoft.  history has shown that the new products are really buggy.  Takes about 6 months to a year for them to get fixed.    If possible i would consider getting one with Win 7 with a upgrade option for Win 8.  What i read about win 8 was the reason I got the new system just so I could avoid win 8 for a few years.   To update you my laptop has been restored to factory condition 2 days after my phone call.  A tech came to my house and replaced the harddrive and reinstalled Win 7. I got a phone call from a dell tech who guided me to a site where he took remote control of my laptop and finished the job.  I also got a bonus. When ordering you can choose a wallpaper to have installed. i choose the Blue Cyborg.  i asked if he would get my wallpaper back,  he installed all the wallpapers but also installed another control option that is extra cost at no charge.  So I am happy with the response I got.  happy shopping and you will find the right one for you.

mycatownsme

It's always nice to read about great service and happy ending like yours.

Thank you for taking the time to post it.  I'm going to wait and see.

Lin  tumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview