PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 12:26:12 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Xmas Lights?

Started by hotpinklovesofa,

Previous topic - Next topic

hotpinklovesofa

What's a good place to go buy Xmas string lights or just string lights in general if you don't want the traditional colors of Xmas and Chanukah?  Is there a specialty light store or a Home Depot type warehouse that has a varied section for string lights?  I feel like there used to be a store that was all Xmas decorations year round with massive trees with all sorts of lighting schemes in it but I don't know if that was exclusive to the east coast or if it's one of many stores that have gone under in the last 5-10 years.  I really want to get some purple lights but would rather not have to wait for it to be shipped to me which is why I'm searching for a physical store. This is the first year I'm bothering to decorate since it's also the first year I'm sticking around for this particular holiday. Yeah, I know, really late to the party.

gran2x2

Party City or Hobby Lobby here in Fl....and I HATE when people say Xmas... slap1.gif giggle2.gif

hotpinklovesofa

Quote from: gran2x2 on December 18, 2012, 06:36:26 AM
Party City or Hobby Lobby here in Fl....and I HATE when people say Xmas... slap1.gif giggle2.gif

Thanks but I was spelling it, not saying it. 

Squid

Look up the history of "xmas".  It's perfectly in keeping with Christianity and keeping "Christ" in Christmas.  Xmas is A-O-K with me.

hotpinklovesofa

I only do it out of convenience but I'm not religious so I don't care either way, however, this yearly made up war on Christmas of late is a joke and simply projection.

snowflower

embrace.gif
I think Christmas and Xmas stand for the same thing ..
only because I think He knows when we're referring to Him and when we're not.

But on the other side of the coin and in just my humble opinion.
Please pardon should I offend someone...

When they take the word Christ(mas) out of the Celebration of the Birth of our Holy Lord, Jesus Christ  carolers.gif

and replace it's true meaning with an offending trade off such as ~ Happy Holidays???

Well ... what I don't like ..  When in Rome....

C~M

Quote from: gran2x2 on December 18, 2012, 06:36:26 AM

First off,  slap1.gif slap1.gif slap1.gif to you, lol

Second, it is supposedly a sin if you say or type or write it that way.

hotpinklovesofa

Quote from: snowflower on December 18, 2012, 04:55:41 PM
embrace.gif
I think Christmas and Xmas stand for the same thing ..
only because I think He knows when we're referring to Him and when we're not.

But on the other side of the coin and in just my humble opinion.
Please pardon should I offend someone...

When they take the word Christ(mas) out of the Celebration of the Birth of our Holy Lord, Jesus Christ  carolers.gif

and replace it's true meaning with an offending trade off such as ~ Happy Holidays???

Well ... what I don't like ..  When in Rome....

The only offense is in thinking that the celebrations of one single religious belief trump the celebrations of other religious beliefs that occur around the same time. If you know that someone celebrates Christmas then say Merry Christmas, if you're unaware of their personal beliefs and wish to be civil and respectful of the fact that other people may not be like you then saying Happy Holidays is hardly going to put you on the fast train to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.  

If you're a person of faith then what's in your heart and the journey of your life which hopefully is filled with not only good intentions but actions as well should be the only two things that matter.  Given the bastardization of the holiday by corporations and the culture of consumerism I don't understand why people worry so much about two little words that hold and send a lot more positive energy and meaning by being inclusive of everyone when Merry Christmas is not only exclusionary but incredibly wrapped up (no pun intended) in the idea of finding the perfect gift lest your family and friends be unhappy (not to mention ungrateful.)  

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL  snowman1.gif

hotpinklovesofa

Quote from: Crazy~Man on December 18, 2012, 05:09:37 PM

Second, it is supposedly a sin if you say or type or write it that way.

I would hope that God, if there is one, is too busy to care about what a person is typing in internet forums when there's still so much hunger, poverty, disease and murderers in the world but I suppose it's just like me to worry over trivial things.

Squid

It is said that when the Emperor Constantine had his great vision that caused him to convert to Christianity, he saw the Greek letters Chi and Rho intertwined. Chi is written as an 'X' and Rho is written as a 'P', but they are the first two letters of the Greek word Christ 'savior'. 'XP' is sometimes used to stand for Christ. Sometimes X is used alone. This is the case in the Chi (X) abbreviation for Christ in Xmas. Thus, Xmas is not directly a way of secularizing the holiday, but since 'X' is not Chi in English, we read the word as X-mas and see no connection with Christ.  This, of course, is incorrect.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview