PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:51:30 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Things That Make You Go HMMMMM..WTH !!!!

Started by gran2x2,

Previous topic - Next topic

gran2x2

This is an example of our supposedly  "smart" (?) leaders of our government.

My grandson is autistic but high functioning. he is 15 now. Anyway at his IEP meeting this week my daughter got some crazy info about his future after high school. He can not volunteer for the military because he has a "disability" BUT..... He has to register for the draft in case we go to war and he is needed...

Now am I the only one who thinks this is so frickin nuts that it is almost laughable...

Squid

I'm sure there's some bureaucratic explanation around that one.  There always is.  It does make one scratch one's head, though, doesn't it?

snap20

The Selective Service is ridiculous and antiquated anyway. That is really stupid though...but my guess is that if we did need to do a draft, the requirements would get changed (they did in Vietnam) to make sure they have enough bodies, your grandson might end up being eligible.

hotpinklovesofa

I'm sure the selective service database serves other govt databases and would ikely help populate an automatic voter registry were we fortunate enough to have a working congress that doesn't require multiple deadly tragedies and massive election losses to respond to any of the important issues in this country.

snap20

Won't help much with voter registry, since it only pertains to men. How about this though, undocumented illegal aliens are also required to register. How ridiculous is THAT? Undocumented illegal aliens HAVE to register. Think about that for a second...LOL

http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

gran2x2

To me it is like saying...You are only good enough when WE say you are...Talk about a slap in the face...It just really ticked me off... swear2.gif

hotpinklovesofa

Quote from: snap20 on February 01, 2013, 02:57:11 AM
Won't help much with voter registry, since it only pertains to men. How about this though, undocumented illegal aliens are also required to register. How ridiculous is THAT? Undocumented illegal aliens HAVE to register. Think about that for a second...LOL

http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

I disagree, if there was a national voter registry this would be a great reference for founding a new database since they've been keeping it active for so long and they might even use the existing information to populate the new database if it made sense. And, let's face it, women tend to be on top of things more than men anyway tongue.gif so if they were promised that all they had to do is show up at the polls on Election Day then maybe we could get much younger male voters exerting their power and influence on the regular as opposed to the older and traditionally conservative males who keep trying to convince everyone especially themselves that we're not as progressive a country as we actually are even though all statistics point in that direction and with no signs of stopping.

Also, now that women are officially recognized as being able to serve in combat then they should make both men and women register for SS or turn it into a combo SS/Voter registration or, as you mentioned, get rid of the SS altogether.  I don't know, wishful thinking. People only ever want to make a change if it serves the interests of their party as opposed to the interests on the country and it's citizens. Both parties are tainted and broken which is why I support adding more third party and independent candidates to all levels government to represent the diverse populace. If we keep relying solely on the two parties then we'll never be truly happy with the limited choices we're given.  Is no one else tired of voting for the lesser of two evils as opposed to who really inspires you regardless of your major party affiliation?

And Gran, I think it's just easier and more efficient to register all males regardless of their medical history and then deal with the auto disqualifications later should the need arise which none of us expect any time soon.  (Knock on wood)

snap20

"women tend to be on top of things more than men anyway"

LOL, not the case with many women I know. :P

Anyway, I agree with you about the point you make with regard to third parties and the lesser of two evils picks. But that's as far as I'll discuss it, as I do not discuss politics on forums (nor anywhere else really).

Squid

Quote from: snap20 on February 01, 2013, 02:41:23 PM
"women tend to be on top of things more than men anyway"

LOL, not the case with many women I know. :P

Pffffft!  Must know only a couple of women.  Moms don't count, sorry   girls21.gif

snap20

Quote from: Squid on February 01, 2013, 03:49:41 PM
Pffffft!  Must know only a couple of women.  Moms don't count, sorry   girls21.gif

You were one of the examples I was going to point out!  camera.gif giggle2.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview