PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:32:55 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Whats the craziest reason you have been fired?

Started by roadwarrior,

Previous topic - Next topic

roadwarrior

Yesterday a close friend of mine was fired from her job at Mcdonalds because her company/store issued knee length skirt was "too short" on her.  She's starting a new job search and I'm helping her with some of my contacts.  She's 5 foot 11, and despite asking for a longer skirt (they are supposed to go below the knee-and the skirts are designed for women under 5 foot 3) she was never ordered or given one.  So she's looking for a new job.  It got me thinking. 

Almost all of us have been there.  Fired. Shown the door. Terminated. Sometimes we deserved it. Sometimes we've had to do the firing. Sometimes being fired comes totally out of left field and years later we're still thinking Really? WTF?

I've been laid off due to lack of work, company going bankrupt, business owner retiring or for budget cuts.  Out of all the jobs I've held, I've only been fired once in my life.

Backstory leading up to the reason I was fired:

This happened back in 2000, was when I was in community college the first time working on my degree in Business Management. Got my AA degree in 2000, my BA degree in early 2002.  Right now I'm back in community college getting a AA degree in accounting on a state work first grant, but that's a whole other story for another day.

Rewind to 2000.  I was in my last semester of community college and in process of transferring to a local 4 year university.

Guy I was working for at the time died suddenly and his wife closed the restaurant and later sold it.  I needed a new job fast.  After a week and a half, I was hired as a prep cook for this dive bar/ lounge in a seedy part of town.

Got trained. Everything was great. 5 months fly by. No complaints from management, I'm getting along great with my coworkers. Never been late, never called in sick, always willing to pick up an extra shift if it didn't interfere with classes/study time.

Up to this point, management said crap to me about the quality of my work or attitude. Owners 22 year old nephew gets hired as a prep cook. Kitchen manager asks me to train him. He's a quick study and we get a good rhythm going. 2 days after his 10 day training period ends, the kitchen manager catches me before I start my shift.

She tells me I'm fired because my chopped tomatoes are more like smooshed tomatoes and my chopped onions are too big. Here's my last paycheck, sorry to do this to you. I basically trained my replacement.

Have you ever been fired for some crazy reason you never saw coming?
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

hotpinklovesofa

Your friend has legal recourse. I know she probably doesn't want that job back but that's an ACLU case if there ever was one.  She could at least get the money she lost from being fired out of nowhere until she finds a new job on top of any unemployment she's collecting in the meantime.  She didn't let it go and asked for a proper uniform that fit, it's soooooo they're fault and they're so screwed if she goes after them. Trust me, Mickey D's will settle and quickly.

Non-communicative management is usually the problem in dysfunctional and ineffective depts/companies.  My friend who is a 15+ year paralegal is getting fired after her probation period is over b/c the highly respected company that she joined two months ago has two attorneys (her direct sups) that are children whose idea of management and training is to give zero guidance even when directly asked but then yell at you when you don't do things in the way they want. They also misrepresented the job description because she's essentially a glorified assistant who does paralegal duties. Honestly, she has legal recourse too b/c the head attorney was so abusive and has spoken to HR who is aware of the problem and has received complaints before about this bitch and her mini me but there's no way that they're going to get rid of her supervisor before her probation is up. Even though they need to get permission from the head of legal to get rid of her who is likely to deny the request b/c he really likes her and recognizes her experience and talent she no longer wants to stay because the environment is so stressful. After getting an earful from HR and upper mgmt the two idiots are now praising her up and down over the most trivial things but their asst (the official asst in the office) said that she heard them talking about how they can't wait for her probation period to be up.  The paralegals don't last long either b/c they quit or b/c they take a stand early on like my friend did. I still hope they get rid of the head snake so my friend doesn't miss out on what could be a great job but I think she's just as done as they are.  Of course, this is a typical situation where upper mgmt isn't around to keep things in check b/c they're on a different floor or in this case another building on the lot. Out of sight, out of mind until finally forced to deal with it in a final manner b/c the liability becomes too great.

harley89

I lost last job because they were looney tunes and I told them so.   I have stayed out of the job market since then.  I am to old for looney tunes running companies

mycatownsme

My very first job was picking strawberries for a nickle a quart. I was fired after working for 30 days straight.
The reason was because I was only picking the very perfect berries that were all red, no green at all.  hysterical.gif
I was 10 years old and picked from early morning first light until noon with no break. Which was ok with me at the
time because I could pick more. And that 50 to 60 cents a day was a fortune to me.   tumbsup.gif

Squid

Well.... let's just say I won't ever sleep with the boss' husband again.   Just kidding.

Homer

I was fired from my beer tasting job at the Duff brewery for drinking on the job  beer11.gif

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

roadwarrior

heard ya were fired from Krispy Kreme for eating them out of house and home!  LOL

Oh, one time I was fired  from this job after my first lunch break.  Because the owner thought I was hitting on his wife.  I didn't even know he was married let alone knew who his wife was!   hysterical.gif
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

Sarasota

My daughter was fired from McDonalds for dying her hair pink and refusing to tone it down when asked to. They said she looked like Ronald McDonald. She saw that as a good thing. They didn't.

Actually, I found out later there was a little more to it, she shortcut her version of the story. Apparently, she'd lost her temper and nominated her manager the "B*tch of The Month" and they didn't like that anymore than the fuchsia hair.  giggle2.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview