PlayBuddy
September 20, 2024, 12:05:26 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Help me choose....stuck on something school related??

Started by roadwarrior,

Previous topic - Next topic

roadwarrior

SSSOOO

Back in March I finally got around to finishing off my BS degree.  It's a very useless degree (IMO.)  A 3.97 GPA and a BS degree in General Studies.

I have been unemployed and underemployed for quite some time (thus why joe doing all my badges-I have a very temperamental very cheap $200 walmart special laptop...thanks JOE-You rock!) 

Local Unemployment office/worksource is now what they are calling themselves-paid for me to go to school to get a 3 quarter long Certificate in Accounting.  Which I graduated with a 3.4 gpa.

Only work I've been able to find with the accounting certificate I have has been either with a temp agency-if I'm lucky 5-10 hours a week.  And at the in home care agency I have three clients through as a home care aid doing some book keeping-about 10 hours a week plus my clients.

The union I belong to is offering to cover the balance of my the tuition/fees ect that would be due after my FAFSA grant kicks in.

But they are only covering 3 undergrad certificate programs through the local community college (about 8 miles from where I live.)

I can earn all three or just one.

First one is in Heath care Management.  The courses I would take are:  Medical Terminology, Health Records Management, Medical Billing and Coding 1 and 2 and Medical Office Management.

Next One is a Undergrad Certificate in Computer Information Management.  The courses are:  Windows operating system, Website Design, JavaScript Programming, Database Processing and Systems Analyst and Design. 

Third One is Undergrad Certificate in Human Resources: Human Resource Management, Employment Law, Training and Development, Labor Relations, Organizational Behavior.

Each one takes one quarter.  Or for all 3-3 quarters.

Should I keep going back to school or just call it quits?  I love learning, and I love what I'm doing (home care aid) and I want to make sure I'm as marketable as possible.
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

snap20

I wouldn't go for the cert in CIM unless you are very computer savvy and/or plan on continuing that education after the cert. There are so many people that have bachelor's and master's degrees in computer information fields that getting a job with it is pretty unlikely. There are already too many people for too few jobs.

I think the HR and HCM certs would help you though. I'm not sure how those fields are, but combined with an Acct degree I would think they'd be beneficial...especially the HR one.

disneyland lady

Health Care will ALWAYS be around. Some cities pay more. Here in San Diego, they do so the jobs fill quick. Backwater where ever may not so you need to look at that too.

I have a Masters in Computer Engineering but it is from 1978 and USELESS (unless you have Win 3.1). I am 6 units away from a BA in Accounting which I only was doing to take over my mothers Business Tax company so I will never finish that degree. This is why I spent 32 yrs banging on a drum for a living.

Good luck in whichever you choose.

Squid

I think I agree with Snappy but think if it's only one quarter more for the third (CIM), I might consider it.  You never know how the skills learned in the third might actually help in something you're doing with the other two.  If you're able to take the time and can get support while doing it, I might seriously consider it.  It might be something that holds you apart from the rest when some company is considering its applicants.  Congrats on your graduation, RW, you can be proud of yourself for advancing your education.  I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!

cherrypie

snowflower

snap20

Hell, Squid makes a good point. If it's all paid for, might as well do it. I think the javascript programming would be most useful along with system design. Both good topics.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview