Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Let's Talk Books!

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I love to read, and read a lot. I thought it'd be fun to share about the things we read, and also maybe share great deals, etc.

For me, romance is my favorite genre. It can be paranormal - (vampires, ghosts, shifters, demons) or  fantasy - (witches, fae, wizards) or contemporary, historical... as long as there's a happily ever after, I'm all over it.

Looking forward to hearing about your latest, greatest (or not so greatest) readings!!

Stinkerbell

Audible Freebie for Valentines Day, Classic Love Poems is FREE until 3/9/15!!

http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/FREE-Classic-Love-Poems-Audiobook/B00TA13B56?source_code=AUDOREM0212159CML&

For anyone who's in love - or hopes to be - what greater celebration could there be than to hear the world's greatest love poetry read lovingly by Richard Armitage? With 15 poems by William Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and more, Classic Love Poems is a listening treat for Valentine's Day - or any day.

Included in this collection are:

"How do I love thee?" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
    "Sonnet 116" by William Shakespeare
    "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe
    "To Be One with Each Other" by George Eliot
    "Maud" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
    "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell
    "Bright Star" by John Keats
    "Love's Philosophy" by Percy Bysshe Shelley
    1 Corinthians 13:4-8
    "Meeting at Night" by Robert Browning
    "The Dream" by Edna St. Vincent Millay
    "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" by Christopher Marlowe
    "I carry your heart" by e. e. cummings
    "She Walks in Beauty" by Lord Byron
    "Give All to Love" by Ralph Waldo Emerson

About the Performer

Richard Armitage is known to movie audiences around the world as "Thorin Oakenshield" in the trilogy of films based on The Hobbit. Born in Leicester, England, and trained at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, Armitage has performed with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and created memorable roles on Robin Hood, North & South, and other British TV series.

Public Domain (P)2015 Audible Inc.

Squid

Tx, I downloaded the classical poem audiobook - appropriate for Valentine's day!  Now I have to figure out how I'm going to listen to it.  I'll find a way.  Tx again.

I just read a booklet on how to gut a goose and process its feathers and down.  Wanna hear 'bout it?

Stinkerbell

Yep, do share!  Though, gotta say... It doesn't sound like there'll be a happily ever after.

snap20

I read every night...but pretty much the absolute opposite of you Stinkerbell. lol. I mainly like memoirs/biographies, then other nonfiction, then a little bit of fiction, mainly dystopian fiction.

The best book I've read recently is "The Martian" by Andy Weir. I don't like sci-fi that has like other worlds and other species of aliens or humans or animals or whatever. "The Martian" has none of that...it's about an astronaut that gets stranded on Mars. So there's a sci-fi element to it, but it's believable.

Squid

gran2x2

I would die without my Nook...I read constantly...mostly best sellers...lots of crime fiction from Grisham/Pattersen/Hoag...etc.  Also true crime stuff...I have a link for free books for nook and daily deals for cheap books...let me go find it...

https://www.bookbub.com/home/

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on February 14, 2015, 02:41:43 PM
Reading dystopian fiction would bum me out. 

I read the first three books in Kit Rocha's Dystopian/Erotic "Beyond" series.... intense... I couldn't read more.

snap20

I read "50 Shades"...and that was enough "erotica" for me to know I didn't want to read any more of it. :P  Then again, I'm not really the target audience. haha.

My favorite dystopian/fiction writer is Hugh Howey. Wool and Sand are two of my favorite series'.

If anyone uses Goodreads...feel free to PM a link to your profile and I'll add you as a friend. Of course can just continue the discussion here as well.  tumbsup.gif

disneyland lady

Quote from: snap20 on February 14, 2015, 08:21:41 PM
I read "50 Shades"...and that was enough "erotica" for me to know I didn't want to read any more of it. :P  Then again, I'm not really the target audience. haha.

I am so afraid of being fenced in, that I can't handle even being under the confines of blankets. I honestly sleep on top of my bed with loose blankets over me. I had to quit watching 12 Years a Slave because of them being chained. So, 50 Shades is also not on my list of things to read or watch nor will it be.

I have 3 eBooks and mostly read true crime (like Ann Rule) because I love reading that others have worse lives than mine! But I am re-reading Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin) as I am going thru withdrawls. I love that I can be in line at USPS or pharmacy or even waiting on a parade at Disneyland and have over 400 books in my hand.

I get a daily email with my favorite genres listed of free Amazon books but sometimes the results are odd. I have horror, non-fiction and sci-fi listed but got "25 Crockpot Recipes". Not sure if I would want to try anything on that list!

Stinkerbell

I've asked a few of my Goodreads who've seen 50 how they liked it, and it seems it was hit or miss for most. Apparently there are some surprisingly erotic scenes for a rated R movie.

I read all 3 books way back when, and they were okay. I loved Christian, hated Ana, and thought the sex scenes were not realistic... watered down or made overly dramatic. Granted, I've not been in the BDSM lifestyle, but I know several authors who are, and who write about it, and 50 isn't realistic.  But that's why it's called Mommy ****. Your run of the mill Mommy wouldn't find the real thing all that appealing, I guess.

Stinkerbell

I've been on a Historical Romance kick lately. I finished reading a book called Catch a Falling Heiress by Laura Lee Gurhke, which was terrific! Now I'm reading The Diary of an Accidental Wallflower by Jennifer McQuiston, and it's a blast. Funny, romantic... she's another great author.

Stinkerbell

snap20

I had this thought in my head while reading 50 shades, but couldn't quite put my finger on it to explain it. Then I saw something online soon after reading the first book and realized the author was right. He/she was saying how it's like it was written by a teenage girl who describes the BDSM/sex as she expects it would be, in the same language a teenager would use, rather than "adult language". That hit the nail on the head. So I totally agree, Stinkerbell, that it was not realistic at all. Not that I really was expecting realism I guess.

I saw a post somewhere else recently (twitter?) that said, basically, the only reason 50 shades is "erotic fantasy" is because the dude is a billionaire. If he was living in a trailer home it would be an episode of Criminal Minds  hysterical.gif

Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

What's everyone reading?  I'm reading Back in the Game, book 1 of Lori Wilde's Stardust, Texas series. It's very funny an romantic!  embrace.gif

snap20

2/3rds through "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline and finishing up on a memoir called "All Who Go Do Not Return" by Shulem Deen. Deen was born and raised in a Hasidic sect and as he got older he realized he no longer believed in the things that were taught. It's about his upbringing in the sect and his eventual departure/ostracism from it. Pretty interesting story.

Stinkerbell

That does sound interesting. I listen to Audible's The Great Courses, and some of my favorites are ancient histories because they cover a lot on religion.

Stinkerbell

There are some great Kindle Freebies lately. I especially love it when they have free cookbooks. Even though I'm not a vegetarian, these recipes look easily adaptable to anyone's diet.

Everyday Vegetarian Family Cookbook: 101 Delicious Meatless Soup, Salad, Main Dish and Dessert Recipes you Can Make in Minutes! (Vegetarian Diet, Vegetarian Cookbook, Vegetarian Recipes Book 4)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4Y6QQ0?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B00T4Y6QQ0&linkCode=shr&tag=blitbookrevi-20&linkId=IMV5VIGOMHYHYKVV&c_cid=9b04f68b51&mc_eid=9981ca7f0f

Blurb:

101 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes The Whole Family Will Love!

From the author of several bestselling cookbooks and busy mum Alissa Noel Grey comes a great new collection of healthy recipes. This time she offers us her everyday vegetarian family recipes, a collection of some of the best meat free, protein packed, breakfast, soup, salad and main dish recipes, that can be prepared on a daily basis.

Preparing healthy vegetarian meals for you and your family is fun and rewarding because it is just another way of offering your loved ones a future of well-being and optimum health.

Everyday Vegetarian Family Cookbook: 101 Delicious Meatless Soup, Salad, Main Dish and Dessert Recipes you Can Make in Minutes! is an invaluable and delicious collection of healthy and easy homemade, vegetarian recipes that will provide enough protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep you and your family strong and feeling better all-round.

Table Of Contents

Quick and Easy Vegetarian Recipes for Dinner Tonight
Vegetarian Salad and Side Dish Recipes
Annie's Green Bean Salad
Spinach, Beet and Feta Salad
Mediterranean Spinach Salad
Easy Chickpea Salad
Arugula and Radicchio Salad
Three Bean Salad
Beet Salad with Walnuts
Beet Salad with Yogurt
Warm Tomato Salad
Warm Beet and Lentil Salad
Roasted Vegetable Salad
Warm Leek and Sweet Potato Salad
Mediterranean Avocado Salad
Granny's Favorite Couscous Salad
Artichoke, Mushroom and Tomato Salad
Avocado and Cucumber Salad
Easy Vitamin Salad
Rainbow Superfood Salad
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Fresh Quinoa Salad
Spring Quinoa Salad
Healthy Winter Quinoa Salad
Quinoa, Black Beans and Egg Salad
Quinoa, Kale and Roasted Pumpkin
Buckwheat Salad with Broccoli and Roasted Pepers
Warm Mushroom Buckwheat Salad
Homemade Hummus
Avocado Hummus
Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Mushroom and Kale Soup
Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup
Creamy Brussels Sprouts Soup
Creamy Potato Soup
Leek, Brown Rice and Potato Soup
Mediterranean Chickpea Soup
Carrot, Sweet Potato and Chickpea Soup
Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
Creamy Tomato and Roasted Peppers Soup
Fresh Asparagus Soup
Fast Red Lentil Soup
Mediterranean Lentil Soup
Celery, Apple and Carrot Soup
Pea, Dill and Rice Soup
Minted Pea and Nettle Soup
Bean and Pasta Soup
Tuscan Bean Soup
Lima Beans Soup
Italian Vegetable Soup
French Vegetable Soup
Spiced Beet and Carrot Soup
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Pumpkin and Bell Pepper Soup
Mushroom Soup
Brown Lentil Soup
Tomato and Quinoa Soup
Kale, Leek and Quinoa Soup
Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup
Leeks and Quinoa Soup
Red Lentil and Quinoa Soup
Spinach and Quinoa Soup
Vegetable Quinoa Soup
Vegetarian Main Dish Recipes
Feta Cheese Baked in Foil
Creamy Avocado Spaghetti
Avocado, Roasted Mushroom and Feta Spaghetti
Tomato, Arugula and Feta Spaghetti
Vegetable Quinoa Stew
Eggplant and Quinoa Stew
Comforting Quinoa Shepherd's Stew
Easy Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Quinoa
Zucchini and Buckwheat Stew
Power Buckwheat Stew
Curried Buckwheat with Raisins and Apples
Quick Buckwheat Chilli
Ratatouille
Spicy Chickpea and Spinach Stew
Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Zucchini Fritters
Baked Falafels
Chickpea, Rice and Mushroom Stew
Chickpeas, Leek and Olive Stew
Easy Homemade Baked Beans
Baked Beans and Rice Casserole
Green Peas and Rice Casserole
Easy Green Beans Stew
Green Beans and Potatoes
Cabbage and Rice Stew
Pumpkin, Spinach and Ricotta Gratin
Potato, Pea and Cauliflower Curry
Baked Cauliflower
Potato and Zucchini Bake
Okra and Tomato Casserole
Vegetarian Breakfast and Dessert Recipes
Avocado and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs
Avocado and Olive Paste on Tosted Rye Bread
Avocado and Chickpea Sandwiches
Delicious Vegetable Fritata
Quick Vegetable Omelette
Raisin Quinoa Breakfast
Banana Cinnamon Fritters
Avocado and Pumpkin Muffins
Moist Pear Muffins
Easy Lemon Cake

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview