PlayBuddy
September 20, 2024, 01:52:29 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Window 10 Free Upgrade Notification Icon

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Keep an eye on your task bar to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 (Win 7 & Win 8+ users only)

It looks like this:

When you click on it and select "Get Windows 10", this window pops up :

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snap20

As soon as you figure out how to get rid of the icon without actually reserving the upgrade...lemme know. It isn't actually going to be "released" until July 29th...seems a bit early to plug the free upgrade with extra icons (to me, it's annoying).

Mayhem

To turn it off, go to : Control Panel > Notification Area Icons

At the bottom of the screen, make sure "Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar" is unchecked.

Then you will be able to select the "GWX - Get Windows 10" icon and set it to "Hide Icon and Notifications".

Squid

I have 8.1 and, while I've made the puter to look/behave like 7, I look forward to the free upgrade to 10.  For me, this is good news.  OMG!!  The icon JUST APPEARED ON MY TASKBAR!!  Mayhem is a warlock!

*edited to ask:  is there any way to preview W-10?

snap20

Thanks Mayhem. I did some searching last night, and there was nothing on Google about it. I just searched after I made my comment and there are 1000s of results. LOL Just needed to wait until this morning I guess.

Looks like the best thing to do is to just uninstall the update. For anyone interested, instructions can be found here: https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-get-windows-10-upgrade-reservation-notification-system-tray-icon/

Quote from: Squid on June 01, 2015, 01:55:26 PM
I have 8.1 and, while I've made the puter to look/behave like 7, I look forward to the free upgrade to 10.  For me, this is good news.  OMG!!  The icon JUST APPEARED ON MY TASKBAR!!  Mayhem is a warlock!

*edited to ask:  is there any way to preview W-10?

You can preview it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

If you just want to watch a demo, you can check one out here:

Squid

why uninstall the update?

edited to say:  W-10:  ugh... APPS.  I am not used to APPS.  No smart phone.

disneyland lady

Darn and Windows 9 was gonna be the best one ever! I actually still have my first - Win 3.1 on 6 little floppy's. Some are going to wait til later to see if it is going to be worth it but I was not born with the wait-til-later gene so   

gran2x2

I started getting the icon when I got up this am...Is win 10 really gonna be any better ??? Not sure if I should upgrade or not..

snap20

I won't upgrade until at least 6 months after initial "release" on July 29. I'll probably wait until July 2016 before I update anything. There are always issues right away when Microsoft releases a new OS...

Squid

Mayhem

I heard you have like 6 months or something to opt in. That may change though ..

snap20

For Win 7 and 8 users it will be a free upgrade for a year. So you have until July 29, 2016 to upgrade for free.

Squid

Quote from: snap20 on June 01, 2015, 10:00:38 PM
For Win 7 and 8 users it will be a free upgrade for a year. So you have until July 29, 2016 to upgrade for free.
That*s great news!  I kan wait a bit for bugs to be worked out.  If the upgrade downloads to ^^y puter, nothing will happen until I install it, right? 

Kan I borrow an apostrophe?

MsMissy

I have that little ICON in my taskbar this morning when I logged on. You don't have to update for awhile as I heard on news once. now do you. I no nothing about changing browers as I have always used IE. I have Windows 7 in my puter. Does anyone no how long we can keep our current version? Im sorry, but im hard headed about trying to understand anything new. I hate changes , even my age .  giggle2.gif    hi11.gif

snap20

Quote from: Squid on June 02, 2015, 04:38:52 AM
That*s great news!  I kan wait a bit for bugs to be worked out.  If the upgrade downloads to ^^y puter, nothing will happen until I install it, right? 

Signing up for the upgrade will only download it to your computer when the update is available. it will not automatically install it. There has to be user interaction to actually install it.

Kan I borrow an apostrophe?

Here, take 20. ''''''''''''''''''''

Quote from: MsMissy on June 02, 2015, 06:40:18 AM
I have that little ICON in my taskbar this morning when I logged on. You don't have to update for awhile as I heard on news once. now do you. I no nothing about changing browers as I have always used IE. I have Windows 7 in my puter. Does anyone no how long we can keep our current version? Im sorry, but im hard headed about trying to understand anything new. I hate changes , even my age .  giggle2.gif    hi11.gif

You can keep your current version indefinitely if you want. On my main computer, I still use XP. It's no longer supported with updates/upgrades, but it still works.

You can always purchase Win10 after the one year free option expires. I have no idea what that price will be (probably $100-200 depending on version). Upgrading is not at all required.

Mayhem

Quote from: snap20 on June 02, 2015, 02:53:39 PM
You can always purchase Win10 after the one year free option expires. I have no idea what that price will be (probably $100-200 depending on version). Upgrading is not at all required.

Windows 10 Home Edition will cost $119 - and the Professional Edition will cost $199.

If you download the free (Home Edition), you can upgrade to the Pro version for $99.

Stinkerbell

C~M

Quote from: Stinkerbell on June 02, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
So, this free upgrade is only good for 1 year?

Good for life, but you have a year to install it I think.

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on June 02, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
So, this free upgrade is only good for 1 year?

The free upgrade is good for the lifetime of the device it's installed on.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview