PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 04:11:49 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Windows 10 automatically updating to your computer.

Started by snowflower,

Previous topic - Next topic

snowflower

Taken from:  SHELBURNE COAST GUARD WEEKLY NEWSPAPER

If you haven't already downloaded windows 10, your computer may do it for you automatically as soon as this week.

Warning: for all customers that have windows 7 or windows 8 and don't want to move to 10,
you better go to control panel and select windows update, find change settings on left side, then set "don't automatically install updates."

Please read this article to know why.

http://www.cbc.ca/n.../technology/windows-10-updrade-1.3430469

Squid

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.
Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
Visit our site map page
In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

Yoming 2

I went to control panel................then typed in windows  and it brought up the windows update.    I clicked on turning automatic updating on or off and changed the settings.....will have to see what happens.    tumbsup.gif

snowflower

Quote from: Squid on February 04, 2016, 06:09:55 PM
Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.
Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
Visit our site map page
In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

Yes, you're absolutely right ... I find I get the same message.  This was written up in the Shelburne Coast Guard but was quoted from Shelburne Computer. I have it on my Facebook page and have shared it so others can see it. I don't know how to get the post in here or you'd see the original post instead of my message. I turned off my updates on my win/7 laptop. Squiddy, I also saved it to my pictures, I'll email it to you as an attachment. See what you think, ok.

snowflower

Quote from: snowflower on February 04, 2016, 06:49:49 PM
Yes, you're absolutely right ... I find I get the same message.  This was written up in the Shelburne Coast Guard but was quoted from Shelburne Computer. I have it on my Facebook page and have shared it so others can see it. I don't know how to get the post in here or you'd see the original post instead of my message. I turned off my updates on my win/7 laptop. Squiddy, I also saved it to my pictures, I'll email it to you as an attachment. See what you think, ok.

Emailed it to you Squiddy ... did you get it?

Squid

Good morning, snowy.  Thanks for the email.  I'll check later and report in.  Crazy work day today.   xoxoxo

snap20

Here's a working article: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/ready-or-not-here-comes-windows-10/

QuoteThe operating system will not actually install itself unattended; Microsoft says that users will be able to reject the upgrade or reschedule it for a time that's more convenient. The company has also described a variety of registry settings that suppress the upgrade.

Squid

Quote from: snowflower on February 04, 2016, 06:55:29 PM
Emailed it to you Squiddy ... did you get it?

Thanks, Snowy, I got the email but the link doesn't work.  I tried different variations but no dice.  Snappy posted a link that has some useful info, did you see it?

Mayhem

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I have a new laptop that has gone back to the manufacturer twice for issues.  Each time they return it to me, Windows 10 is wiped out and I get the 8.1 that was originally installed.  I'm waiting until I know the dang thing isn't going back a third time.  I figure I have almost 6 months before the free upgrade expires.  My Windows 7 computers:  one is on life support at this time and wouldn't survive the invasive procedure;  the other Win7 puter is one I love and don't want to mess with it!  Will Win 7 lose support if I don't change to Win10?

Mayhem

Window 7 support ended on January 13, 2015. They are only releasing security updates from now until 2020.

I only upgraded to Windows 10 because it fully supports all the latest hardware (just finished building a top of the line system).

snap20

I still use XP Pro on my main computer. ;)

I have two others with Win7 and won't be upgrading to Win10 at all. Too many nightmare stories about people upgrading. If I get Win10, it will be from buying a completely new system and that system having a fresh, new, copy installed. Not an upgrade.

I know there are scores of people that have upgraded without an issue...but I don't have luck like that with anything. lol

Mayhem

Quote from: snap20 on February 06, 2016, 01:36:36 PM
If I get Win10, it will be from buying a completely new system and that system having a fresh, new, copy installed. Not an upgrade.

That's the best way to go. I purchased Windows 10 myself.

HHR

Yeah, i have Windows 10 on two computers so far.

Honestly i would prefer Windows 10 over 8 and 8.1. Those OS were total garbage to me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview