PlayBuddy
September 07, 2024, 08:58:53 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Thirty-Five 18th Century Glass Bottles Discovered

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Archaeologists at Mount Vernon have unearthed an astounding 35 glass bottles from the 1700's in five storage pits in the Mansion cellar.

Of the 35 bottles, 29 are intact and contain perfectly preserved cherries and berries, likely gooseberries or currants. The contents of each bottle have been carefully extracted, are under refrigeration at Mount Vernon, and will undergo scientific analysis.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I have what may be silly questions:

• Why haven't these storage pits been investigated before?
  • Was it common practice to bury preserve bottles or did that dirt/sediment surround the bottles over time?
  • If the dirt came over time, was it because the cellars were flooding?
  • If flooding caused this, I go back to my first question about earlier investigations, especially when tackling the flooding issues involving one of our national treasures.
  • I used to cycle to Mt. Vernon all the time.  Lovely ride and beautiful property with great views.  Just sayin'...

Mayhem

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

Thanks! Interesting article but, like you said, they didn't address the finding of the bottles within the dirt, etc.  It would be nice to follow this a bit.  I'm wondering what the lab results will be.  Bacterial growth?  Pure preservation?  They don't LOOK pure!  LOL.  Would you taste the cherries?  I don't think I would.  

I find it cute and coincidental that the majority appear to be preserved cherries (Cherry tree reference and all... )

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview