PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 03:48:14 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Is Runescape safe?

Started by EnglishLion,

Previous topic - Next topic

EnglishLion

I have two kids ages 11 and 12 who regulary use runescape.com, I notice there is a chat facility on there, and as one of my kids was asked their age it put me into panic mode. I panicked due to undesirable people grooming kids, i am being over protective, but does anyone know if the chat is monitored?

Thanks in advance  :)

badcrazygirl

people usually do ask for other people age just make sure they don't tell them any personal info like where they live and whats there name they should be fine

EnglishLion

yea i've told them all that thanks, i was chuffed to see that my daughter told them she wasnt allowed....its prob just me panicking,but this grooming stuff scares me

bob@pogopal

Just make sure the computer is in a public area of your house where you can supervise and then supervise.

badcrazygirl

isn't there a control thing where you can monitor the sites and chats?

EnglishLion

Quote from: BadgeHelpBob on October 16, 2004, 12:51:01 PM
Just make sure the computer is in a public area of your house where you can supervise and then supervise.
its in the hallway, so i will supervise but at same time dont wanna spoil their fun lol.  thanks Bob

EnglishLion

Quote from: darkearthgoddess on October 16, 2004, 01:00:49 PM
isn't there a control thing where you can monitor the sites and chats?
I can monitor site but not sure about chat.i dont wanna block the site tho cos it looks fun.....its just the chat element....but its also required for instructions.
thanks Dark

mwrules

Runescape sucks.  It took away about a year of my life in college.  And that was before their "3d" world was released

badcrazygirl

bob@pogopal

English,

I do believe you can get monitoring tools that record everything your children type. I don't know whether they will capture what others type to your children in an online game's chat box.

The single biggest thing you can do though is keep the computer in a public area, take a peek everytime you walk past, and regularly show an interest in what your kids are doing. You don't have to hover over them every second.

Just don't let them have the computer in the bedroom with the door closed and never show an interest. That's what gets kids into trouble.

EnglishLion

Quote from: BadgeHelpBob on October 16, 2004, 01:37:33 PM
English,

I do believe you can get monitoring tools that record everything your children type. I don't know whether they will capture what others type to your children in an online game's chat box.

The single biggest thing you can do though is keep the computer in a public area, take a peek everytime you walk past, and regularly show an interest in what your kids are doing. You don't have to hover over them every second.

Just don't let them have the computer in the bedroom with the door closed and never show an interest. That's what gets kids into trouble.

We would never let the kids have the pc in their bedrooms, it is in the hall where myself or wife constantly walk past! Would you have any idea of where i would be able to obtain these monitoring tools?

Thank you!

EnglishLion

DEBKARLAR

there are many programs that will not only log the keys your children type but also take screen shots ..do a search for parental control and child on-line safety. another thing  I have my kids chose a non-gender type name.
Tell your children NEVER to send pictures of themselves.
What I would do is go to the site when children aren't home and hang out...learn the acronyms,find out why others like the site.

EnglishLion

Quote from: TokenWhiteGuy on October 16, 2004, 02:32:16 PM
there are many programs that will not only log the keys your children type but also take screen shots ..do a search for parental control and child on-line safety. another thingĀ  I have my kids chose a non-gender type name.
Tell your children NEVER to send pictures of themselves.
What I would do is go to the site when children aren't home and hang out...learn the acronyms,find out why others like the site.

sound advice i'm gonna go take a look

admin

On www.download.com there are many programs like that. Just do a search for "logger" and they'll be quite a few to choose from.

Here's one of the first that came up.

EnglishLion

thanks all for help, i'm using the one of download.com     O0

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview