PlayBuddy
September 20, 2024, 01:59:38 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

My computer has stoped saveing in jpg / Gif

Started by Surfdown,

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfdown

All my pc does is save in bmp when i download gif's of the internet i have tryed loads of ways to fix it and as of yet still have the same problem. and it also does the same with jpg files all i can save in is bmp format any help would be great.ok here is some more info so i save as type when doing a right click on a gif / jpg but all i get when trying to save off the internet is *.bmp

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Surfdown

Quote from: Homer on December 28, 2004, 01:28:31 PM
That's a new one. Never heard of that problem before. ???

OK just in case any one else gets this if you type in your file name then add gif or jpg to it so it looks like this file.gif or file.jpg it will save it as one of them i still get bmp but if i type it in manual it will work

Kelly

Quote from: Surfdown on December 28, 2004, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: Homer on December 28, 2004, 01:28:31 PM
That's a new one. Never heard of that problem before. ???

OK just in case any one else gets this if you type in your file name then add gif or jpg to it so it looks like this file.gif or file.jpg it will save it as one of them i still get bmp but if i type it in manual it will work
what program do you use to open these files???

Kelly

never mind my first reply....open My Computer go to tools up top on tool bar...go to folder options then click the file types tab...scroll down the list look for .gif and .jpg.....see what program your puter is using to open these....you can change it to another program in there also....sounds like something got changed in there but i dont have a clue HOW this could happen without your knowledge...unless you installed a new program and the program itself changed it.OK hope this helped you!!

Surfdown

Quote from: KsArt on December 28, 2004, 02:14:00 PM
never mind my first reply....open My Computer go to tools up top on tool bar...go to folder options then click the file types tab...scroll down the list look for .gif and .jpg.....see what program your puter is using to open these....you can change it to another program in there also....sounds like something got changed in there but i dont have a clue HOW this could happen without your knowledge...unless you installed a new program and the program itself changed it.OK hope this helped you!!

They are all the way it should be from what i know i have looked in the foler options and they are the same as my laptop i even e-mail microsoft
they told me to type it in manually but they did not tell me why it does not come up on a list any more if i use coral draw i can save a gif or if i use paint i can save a gif same with psp it is only when i save files from the net if i do a right click and send a e-mail to myself i can get the gif or jpg that way but that is along way trust me i have tryed loads of ways only thing i have not done is reinstall xp pro which i don't really what to do.but thank you any for the help i'm sure i will find out one day what i did or what updates did :'(

Homer

If you can click the save as option then you can click the drop down box and change the file format. ;)

Surfdown

Quote from: Homer on December 28, 2004, 03:16:41 PM
If you can click the save as option then you can click the drop down box and change the file format. ;)

lmao if only that easy when i do that i still only get one option which is *.bmp lol but thanks any way

Kelly

have you checked your internet options....go to advanced tab scroll down to multimedia and see if your enable image toolbar is checked.....i think it gives you the little toolbar hovered over an image then u can click the save as and it might give you the .jpg and .gif options back again.....this is just an idea dunno if it will work.this has my puzzler puzzling now...lol.

Moksha

I've had that happen to me. I was on Windows XP when it happened. I never actually found out how to fix it. Ended up having to reformat. That did the trick.

Surfdown

Quote from: KsArt on December 28, 2004, 05:19:26 PM
have you checked your internet options....go to advanced tab scroll down to multimedia and see if your enable image toolbar is checked.....i think it gives you the little toolbar hovered over an image then u can click the save as and it might give you the .jpg and .gif options back again.....this is just an idea dunno if it will work.this has my puzzler puzzling now...lol.

thanks for the info still changes nothing  :(

Kelly

i would not go as far as reformatting....youll lose everything...but you might be able to use your recovery disk and just do an application recovery this keeps things you have on the puter...i had to do this one time before...i think the only program i had to reinstall after i did it was my psp it wouldnt work right ...but i just reinstalled it then it was ok....i'd try that before reformatting -reformatting is for your hard drive anyway...not your operating system. i hope you get this figured out somehow...keep looking for info you'll get it fixed!!

Moksha

If you have your computer partitioned off, you can move everything you need to a drive other than the C, and only reformat the C drive.

And the only reason I even brought UP reformatting, was because when I had this problem, EVERYTHING I tried, did not work. The only thing that worked was reformatting and reinstalling the OS.

Kelly

Quote from: Moksha on December 29, 2004, 05:57:34 PM
If you have your computer partitioned off, you can move everything you need to a drive other than the C, and only reformat the C drive.

And the only reason I even brought UP reformatting, was because when I had this problem, EVERYTHING I tried, did not work. The only thing that worked was reformatting and reinstalling the OS.

Sorry Moksha I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers I just felt it was a radical choice to make but hey if it worked thats cool.
I myself will NOT use XP...the hubby has it on his laptop n loves it...but i personally do not like it at all.

I still have ME on my old puter and it is working fine and i love it....i am going to get a new machine soon and I still haven't decided if we will just build a new one n put ME on it or just suck it up and get used to XP...i dread the choice I have to make.....lol.

Again I'm sorry no offense intended  ;)

Surfdown

well thank you all for the help i have no idea why it has come back i did a spyware check with spyware doctor 3.1 and it removed all the rubbish off my pc which i have to ad-aware pro never found on my system and i think this has sorted it out i have been working with pc's for don't know how long have built over 300 of them which is not that many but so any way i have never had this problem in over 14 years of working with pc's i have to say spyware is much worse now then the trojan viruses but for now all is working ok (it is bad when you need a two firewalls two anti-virus and trojan programs and three diffrent spy removal tools to keep your system safe lol

Homer

Yes it is ashame you need all those things but I'm afraid the problem won't go away anytime soon if ever. I know they are trying to pass legislation to stop some of these issues but I don't think it will do much. :-\

Kelly

I don't know if you ever got the problem fixed but I was reading this today and thought of you...heres what I found...

Question:
When I right click an image to save it I get only the BMP file extension available in the "Save As" drop down box. I don't know how it changed, but now I no longer have the JPG or GIF options available unless I choose the "Save Target As"option from the right click menu. Can you recommend something to do? Thanks for your great newsletter & all the information you give.

Answer:
This is one of the most often asked questions and, fortunately, this problem is one of the easiest to fix. When you only have the option to save a picture as at bitmap (BMP) it means your browser's cache is full. For whatever reason, Windows defaults to BMP when your cache is full and will only allow you to save the image as a bitmap. This really makes no sense because bitmaps are usually much larger than JPGs or GIFs. Be that as it may, you cannot save images in their correct format until you clear your browser's cache. To clear your cache manually follow the instructions below (assuming you're using Internet Explorer 6): 

Under the Tools menu at the top of your browser, select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
In the Temporary Internet files section of the General tab, click the Delete files button.
A dialog box will appear that says, "Delete all files in the Temporary Internet Files folder?" Click the OK button.
In the History section of the General tab, click the Clear History button. A dialog box will appear that says, "Are you sure you want Windows to delete your history of visited Web sites?"
Click the YES button.
Click OK to leave Internet Options.
Click the Refresh button at the top of the browser
Now you should be able to save that image in its correct format (as a JPG, GIF, or PNG).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview