Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Anyone fly often? I have a flight question

Started by Dream Faerie,

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Homer on January 10, 2005, 08:38:16 AM
You won't even notice the time. Unless of course you sit and stare at your watch. ;)

Try drinking some sleepytime tea before takeoff. The stuff can be relaxing. O0

Knowing me? I will prolly be the one staring at my watch lol. I guess I will leave my watch at home lolol.
Sleepy time tea doesnt work for me  :( Maybe if I mix it with the aroma of lavender?

bob@pogopal

Dream,

I am actually prone to motion sickness, and I have never barfed on a flight yet. Although, I did barf coming off the tilt-a-whirl once.

I try to get a window seat so that I can see the horizon. It's a little more cramped, but I find that helps with the motion sickness. If you've never felt carsick, you might want to take an aisle seat so you can choose whether to look out. Personally, I think it is a blast to watch the ground recede away from me.

During ascent the plane seems very steep but it is probably only 20 or 25 degrees. Certainly not any more than 45 degrees.

For the most part, the only times you really feel acceleration are during takeoff and landing. Takeoff will gently push you back into your seat. To give you an idea, the passengers only have lap restraints and not shoulder restraints. While you will feel some acceleration during landing, you can still sit up straight on your own power.

On Chicago-NY, I have no doubt the pilot will be able to find smooth air. It's not like crossing the rockies where there might be no altitudes without turbulence. If you have any turbulence it will be for a very short period during ascent and descent.

Enjoy the trip! After you fly once, you will wonder what all the hubbub was about.

Dannon

Just remeber.. after u take off.. you will hear noises and probably a lil boom.. dont be scared.. its the landing gear going up..
im in chicago.. i fly alot,its a good time.. honestly u have more of a chance of being struck by lighting then have a plane accident.. think of it that way...

BoredNItaly

I fly from Naples, Italy to Norfolk, Virgina about every 4 months and its a 10 hour flight. Never had any problems I actually like flying you get to relax watch a few movies get feed well and sleep  LOL........You will be ok. Just chew some gum for take off and landing so your ears dont pop

Dream Faerie

Quote from: BadgeHelpBob on January 10, 2005, 01:01:24 PM
Dream,

I am actually prone to motion sickness, and I have never barfed on a flight yet. Although, I did barf coming off the tilt-a-whirl once.

I try to get a window seat so that I can see the horizon. It's a little more cramped, but I find that helps with the motion sickness. If you've never felt carsick, you might want to take an aisle seat so you can choose whether to look out. Personally, I think it is a blast to watch the ground recede away from me.

During ascent the plane seems very steep but it is probably only 20 or 25 degrees. Certainly not any more than 45 degrees.

For the most part, the only times you really feel acceleration are during takeoff and landing. Takeoff will gently push you back into your seat. To give you an idea, the passengers only have lap restraints and not shoulder restraints. While you will feel some acceleration during landing, you can still sit up straight on your own power.

On Chicago-NY, I have no doubt the pilot will be able to find smooth air. It's not like crossing the rockies where there might be no altitudes without turbulence. If you have any turbulence it will be for a very short period during ascent and descent.

Enjoy the trip! After you fly once, you will wonder what all the hubbub was about.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Dannon on January 10, 2005, 02:22:43 PM
Just remeber.. after u take off.. you will hear noises and probably a lil boom.. dont be scared.. its the landing gear going up..
im in chicago.. i fly alot,its a good time.. honestly u have more of a chance of being struck by lighting then have a plane accident.. think of it that way...

But If I am struck by lightning, dont I havea better chance of survival? I mean, its the same of a car accident, they are more likely, but you are also more likely to survive a car accident instead of a plane crash  ::)

Dream Faerie

Quote from: BoredNItaly on January 11, 2005, 03:13:50 AM
I fly from Naples, Italy to Norfolk, Virgina about every 4 months and its a 10 hour flight. Never had any problems I actually like flying you get to relax watch a few movies get feed well and sleep  LOL........You will be ok. Just chew some gum for take off and landing so your ears dont pop

Thank you!  O0

Brandon493

Quote from: Dream Faerie on January 10, 2005, 05:22:01 AM
Quote from: Brandon493 on January 10, 2005, 02:46:52 AM
Probably about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. depending on which airport you fly from and which one you fly to.

Thank you!  ;D

you're welcome  and there is nothing to worry about when flying.O0

bob@pogopal

DreamFaerie,

You are looking at the statistics in the wrong way. You are more likely to survive a trip from Chicago to NY in a plane than in a car. Period.

In fact, you are more likely to get injured on the trip to the airport than on the flight.

Dream Faerie

Quote from: BadgeHelpBob on January 11, 2005, 07:37:58 AM
DreamFaerie,

You are looking at the statistics in the wrong way. You are more likely to survive a trip from Chicago to NY in a plane than in a car. Period.

In fact, you are more likely to get injured on the trip to the airport than on the flight.

Thank you! I feel a little better now. I'm still skeered, but feeling better. THANK YOU!  O0

Pho3nix

I listen to this song everytime i get on a plane, or get ready to skydive... (and im scared of heights...) but here is the first verse...
"Little boy on a big jet plane, taking off in the pouring rain... they are bouncing round like a basketball... he says momma what if we fall... She looks in those big scared eyes... son think of it like a circus ride...next thing you know he's laughing out-loud, asking can we do it again as the wheels touch down... I guess its all how you look at it... you might see more than the side that your seeing... turn it upside down and shake it up a bit... it could be a good thing... its all how you look at it..." That was the song, It's all how you look at it by Tracy Lawrence So, i hope that helps, and another thing, i have seen more accidents on the highway when i sky dive, than the plane has had problems, the skydivers, or the pilot... trust me, you are in good hands when you fly.

kazandchip

I fly a lot and I am more tense about the before and after you fly stuff.Sometimes you spend more time actually getting on and off the plane than you do on the plane.Try to avoid business time flights ie before 9am and after 5pm cos the queues are annoying and can raise frustration levels.( I have never flown in the US though only using aussie experience).Enjoy Dream and take a trashy novel or a gossipy magazine..oh and Give my regards to Broadway  O0

Dream Faerie

Quote from: kazandchip on January 13, 2005, 02:58:57 PM
I fly a lot and I am more tense about the before and after you fly stuff.Sometimes you spend more time actually getting on and off the plane than you do on the plane.Try to avoid business time flights ie before 9am and after 5pm cos the queues are annoying and can raise frustration levels.( I have never flown in the US though only using aussie experience).Enjoy Dream and take a trashy novel or a gossipy magazine..oh and Give my regards to Broadway  O0

Thank you!!!!  O0

fuzzyferrets

i was on a plane going ca from ny and it was like a 3 hour straight flight. it was like 90 degrees on the plane it was so uncomfortable

LustyPirateWench

I fly quite a lot - much to my discomfort. Chitown to NY should be less than 2.5 hours. NY to LA (both my home towns... lucky me) is a 4.45 flight from ny to la - and then 5 hours la to ny (who knows, I certainly never figured that part out...) If you are taking a pill - take it about 45 minutes before flight time - take half a dose.

I use xanax when I fly - half a blue one and I'm pretty much comotose from NY to LA or Visa versa...

LPW...

ps. I'm new, yadda yadda - nice to be here...

Dream Faerie

Quote from: LustyPirateWench on January 13, 2005, 05:12:58 PM
I fly quite a lot - much to my discomfort. Chitown to NY should be less than 2.5 hours. NY to LA (both my home towns... lucky me) is a 4.45 flight from ny to la - and then 5 hours la to ny (who knows, I certainly never figured that part out...) If you are taking a pill - take it about 45 minutes before flight time - take half a dose.

I use xanax when I fly - half a blue one and I'm pretty much comotose from NY to LA or Visa versa...

LPW...

ps. I'm new, yadda yadda - nice to be here...

Thank you for the information. Xanax doesnt do anything for me, I am sure my dr will prescribe something else tho. I appreciate ALL the information everyone has given me  O0 :-*

kazandchip

my 2 cent's worth about tranqu's and flying...try to avoid as you fall aslleep in cramped space and are at risk of DVT.Virgin Flights do little in chair excercise classes about an hour into the flight.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview