PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 10:40:38 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Warning to all those that use AIM!

Started by FlippantOne,

Previous topic - Next topic

FlippantOne

I've always hated AOL and everything associated with it.  ::) This article just reinforces my stand ten fold. This is an old article, but it still stands as far as facts..Ever notice that annoying pop up that always comes up when you open AIM, with advertisements and such for games..You cannot get rid of that, no possible way unless you have DeadAIM..Happy Reading.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/10_1014151

mn_curvydiva

Wow I didn't know this >:(

I read the bottom of the Article where it tells you have to get rid of this intrusion...so at least there is something we can do.
Thanks for the heads up

FlippantOne

It's an extremely intrusive program..It can easily turn your email into a zombie, forcing spam out to others..Unfortunately, so many people use AOHELL that its just not possible to stop it all.

Snarechick

The only reason I stick with AOL is because I pay 5.00 (it was 3.00 up until Jan.) a month for my service through an agreement with AOL and General Motors.  Otherwise I would drop it like a turd.

dunkin16

Actually i have found out how to get rid of them heres the steps.   
1. Go to your AIM directory (c:\program files\aim95\) or wherever you installed AIM to.
2. Delete the file "advert.ocm".
3. Rename the file "admin.ocm" to "advert.ocm".
4. That's it!  

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview